Go to class vs. go to a class

Hi all,

I always meet: walk into class, be late for class, go to class…
Why not: walk into a class, be late for a class, go to a class…?

When “class”, when “a class”?

Alandro

You can say “a class” in many situations. If you are taking more than one class, and it doesn’t matter which one, you can say “a class”, as in, “I was late for a class (I was taking).” If the person you’re talking to doesn’t know you’re taking a class, and this is the first time you mention it, then it’s very normal to say “a class”, just as we frequently use the article “a” whenever we mention something for the first time.

We can also say, “I have a class right now,” “I’m taking a class on Monday nights,” “I have a class tomorrow, so I’m not free.” This is in situations where you’re pretty sure you’ve never mentioned the class to the person you’re talking to.

Could you please use the given phrase in a sentence for me? Without any article, it sounds odd–at least to me! :shock:

1- As the teacher walked into class she sensed that something was wrong.–OK?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think articles seem to be difficult for the French and Italian. :slight_smile:
Moderators, the difference btw:

“I walk into class” and "I walk into a class " is…
“I was late for class” and “I was late for class”
is…

Alandro

Hi Tom

Jamie has already explained the use of “a class”.

As to the use of class without any article at all, I’d say that is often done when you are referring to a specific class — probably one you (or the person referred to in the sentence) are part of.

I went to my class --> I went to class.

He fell asleep in his class. --> He fell asleep in class.

Are you going home directly after your class? --> Are you going home directly after class?