'get on in the world' versus 'get by in the world'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #163 [color=blue]“Idioms with the phrasal verb get”, question 7

The days when Americans can in the world on English only will soon be gone.

(a) get in
(b) get off
© get by
(d) get on

ESL/EFL Test #163 [color=blue]“Idioms with the phrasal verb get”, answer 7

The days when Americans can get by in the world on English only will soon be gone.

Correct answer: © get by

Your answer was: [color=red]incorrect
The days when Americans can get on in the world on English only will soon be gone.
[size=200]_________________________[/size]

Hi,

I tought ‘get on in the world’ (= be successful) was a better choice for the test. Also, should ‘the days that’ be better than ‘the days when’?

haihao

As I see it, ‘get by in the world’ in the sense of ‘manage’, though informal, has about the same meaning as ‘get on in the world’. Perhaps it’s a matter of not wanting to repeat the same preposition in one clause?

As for ‘the days when’ versus ‘the days that’, in this context, the former sounds much better to me.

What a weird word ‘get’!
The days when Americans can get on in the world on English only will soon be gone.
I think ‘get on’ isn’t good here because it’s too positive.

The Americans might get on quite well in the world on English only in the next few years.
In this example is ‘get by’ bad, isn’t it?

Oh darling,
I might get by with no money, but I can’t get on without you.

Is this posy right?
Capablanca.

‘the days when…’ is fine, but the answer to the test question is definitely indistinct. Although I think ‘get by’ is the best answer, I would find ‘get on’ perfectly acceptable.
If I’ve edited this correctly (it’s my first time editing the database), a change will appear in the next day or so which removes the ambiguity.

ESL/EFL Test #163 “Idioms with the phrasal verb get”, question 7

‘The days when Americans can get by in the world on English only will soon be gone.’

Dear teachers,
Could you please explain the meaning of the above sentence for me? How poor I am when unable to tell what it really means.
Thank you.

please explain: to get by in the world on English only = to cope (manage) in the world knowing English only?

many thanks

No,
It means “to manage to survive on English only”.
Speaking English gives Americans a great advantage in the world, but according to the sentence soon they will lose this advantage.

thefreedictionary.com/get+by

‘‘Survive on English’’? Does this mean that they will eat English or use English to pay for their needs?

Hi,

‘Survive on English only’ suggests manage to live or manage to make a living by using the English language only either for work or to make contacts with people who can help them get a job.

Alan

Dear Mr Alan,
why not: ‘Survive on English only’ suggests to manage…etc. ?

Gelu,
it’s funny and very interesting: to eat English ?

thanks