Games are as important for children as they are for adults

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Games are as important for children as they are for adults.

Children at different ages play different games. Games are essential for them and play a key role in the development of kids, because they entertain themselves with games and also learn lots of skills by playing games. The question is whether adults need games or not. From my experience, I believe that games are of no importance for mature humans as they are for children, because mature individuals do not need to learn new abilities, they are busy to spend time on games and they have better ways to entertain themselves.

First, games have been mainly invented to develop some skills like problem solving in kids and help prepare them for their future life. For example, they exercise their brains and enhance its ability by solving a puzzle game or learn how to interact with other people when they play a group game with their friends. Adults have already learnt and improved such skills, and as a result, they do not need any kind of games. Mature people have played various games when they were child or they have experienced different situations in their lives, and as a consequence, they are well-prepared to cope with the problems of the real life. In this regard, games are not important for adults.

Second, adults are busy enough to waste their time with games. Nowadays, people encounter many financial problems and they have to work long hours each day to could afford expenses of life. Consequently, they rarely have free time to allocate for games and if they find any vacant hour, they will prefer to rest and relax or do anything that gives them energy to feel refresh and become ready to continue their duties. Hence, adults pay less attention to games in comparison with children.

Finally, games have been designed to amuse children, but adults have their own ways to entertain themselves. They would do other activities that are more enjoyable and beneficial for them in order to learn something new rather than playing childish games that are useless for them. For example, they would read a book and newspaper or watch movies. Therefore, games are not suitable for mature humans to spend their leisure time.

As I have illustrated, I think that games are important for children but not for mature, because they have learned what they need before, they have so many responsibilities that they do not have free time for games and they have their own methods of entertainment.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture in biology class

Hi Bjeddi, I thought you did a very good job with this one. You arguments are logical and address the prompt well. Your writing sounds pretty natural, though you do have a few awkward sounding phrases and some minor errors in usage. Overall, I would rate this a 4 out of 5.