From an exam (level C - Advanced)

I have some problems as follows:

1/ Find the mistake in the sentence:
According to me, there will be such a violent reaction to the new measures that the government will be forced to change its mind.
The answer is “According to me”. Why is it? What can best replace “According to me”?

2/ In general, women are more truthful than men and honesty increases ______ we get older.
A. when
B. while
C. as
D. whereas
And the answer is [color=red]C. Why is it?

3/ Can we use SOME in IF Clause? For example, we say “If you have any pens, please lend me one”. But can we say “If you have some money, please lend me some”? I think “any money” sounds quite strange.

Interesting questions, Tortoise.

1-- We do not use this phrase to refer to ourselves, since we ourselves are writing the sentence/statement. To my knowledge, there is nothing to replace this except the casual I say. It too is redundant in most writing, though we use it in spoken English:

You say you can pass this test without studying? Well, I say you’re out of your mind!

2-- As because the two processes are represented as simultaneous and ordinate. When suggests that honesty comes after aging; while suggests that honesty is incidental. Whereas does not work grammatically and is not meaningful in this sentence.

3-- Yes, we use some when we think the money (or other noun) probably exists. Any money is not particularly strange to my ear,though.

Thank you very much for your explanation, Mister Micawber.

So, is there any difference between according to me, in my opinion, to me, as for me, to my knowledge ?

Hi !

There’s a new post here.
Is there any difference between according to me, in my opinion, to me, as for me, to my knowledge ?

Here are some safe, conservative guidelines, Tortoise:

according to me – unnatural; rare or not used

in my opinion – followed by a personal opinion

to me – followed by a personal impression

as for me – followed by a personal decision

to my knowledge – followed by a statement of information or belief.