Friendship between the three?

Very interesting and useful. Thank you so much for this. Vielen herzlichen Dank. Grazie mille.

3 Likes

It’s a pleasure. Dis 'n plesier. Es ist ein Vergnügen. :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

I still wonder why we cannot use ‘among’ here. Does ‘among’ yield to ‘between’ so as to disappear from the scene in the not-too-distant future? :disappointed:

3 Likes

As it stated before, between can be used with two or more things.

In this case, you can still divide between 3 people which are Lisa, George and Taylor.

3 Likes

Have a look at this website for further clarification of 'between and ‘among’.

3 Likes

Hi Andrea, many thanks for posting that blog entry. I like the graphic very much since it clearly shows the differences between the contexts in which among and between can be used. Looking at the table I would say our case at hand falls into the category of ‘naming distant individual items’. @Anglophile, looking at the blog post Andrea shared I think ‘among’ doesn’t work here because it’s usually used when the items are not specifically named. In our case we have three friends with their names – Greg, Earl and Rachel.

By the way, you might find this interesting too: Between people versus among people

4 Likes

That is an interesting discussion, Torsten, and Alan intervenes with his view clearly expressed.

Now, coming to the blog, one of the examples says ‘Our house is between the wood, river and the village’. My question is this: Is the house between the wood and the river, or between the river and the village or between the wood and the village?

As regards the example ‘I am trying to decide between the athletic shoes, boots and high heels’, one can guess that the person is undecided on their choice between athletic shoes and boots, or boots and high heels, or athletic shoes and high heels.

(I used to be a stickler as Alan called me once after I joined this forum years ago. But with the incredible growth and development of the language, I’ve had to become flexible in order to keep myself abreast of the changing usages.)

3 Likes

That’s a good observation, Lawrence. The way I understand the sentence is this: The house is between the wood and river on one side and the village on the other. Not sure if that’s correct though. :thinking:

4 Likes

Hello Lady Andrea.

I agree with, Sir Torsten Daerr.

Many thanks

2 Likes

@Torsten, I think you’re on the right track. :wink: ‘Our house is between the wood, the river and the village’.

I have created an interpretation to the sentence, hoping that it is clearer this way. This is how I would interpret it. Remember there are three things here, so the house is between all of them. (wood, river and village)

3 Likes

You are a little wizard, Andrea :+1: :smiley:. What program did you use to create this graphic and how long did it take you?

So, the house is surrounded by the wood on the east and the west and the river on the north and the village on the south.

2 Likes

@Torsten, actually only a few minutes! :rofl: Used MS Word, text boxes with text inside, filled text boxes with colour and grouped all of them together. As I couldn’t upload a saved file, I decided to use the snipping tool and then copy and paste into here! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What error message did you get when you tried to upload the file to the forum?

2 Likes

I checked all the options on my phone earlier. The upload icon didn’t do anything so I just assumed I couldn’t. I see it now on the laptop and the option works. :wink:

2 Likes

The upload should work on your smartphone too…

2 Likes

After choosing the upload icon, I don’t see the ‘Choose an action’ option on the screen. :roll_eyes:

I found the reason for it not working! I opened the site through my email instead of using the website directly. :wink:

1 Like

The upload icon should be there no matter how you access the forum (there actually is only one way of accessing the forum that is via the website since there is no Discourse app).

1 Like

As @Torsten has mentioned only upload from the website :+1:

1 Like

Can you please let me know how exactly you open the forum through your email? You open your email using your browser, right?

1 Like

I open via my Gmail Go app.

1 Like