French, Portuguese - priviledged adjectives?

While surfing Wikipedia I came across a peculiar way of using the adjectives “French” and “Portuguese” in connotation with other sorts of adjectives. That was e.g. “French First/Second/Third/Fourth/Fifth Republic”, “French First/Second Empire” or “Portuguese First Republic”. The rule has it, however, that you are supposed to put the numerals before all the other descriptive words. And indeed, we do have “First/Second Spanish Republic”. I also believe that I’ve come across putting the words “French” or “Portuguese” even before the numeral in many other cases. Now sure, many of those things might have been written by non-native English speakers, but since nobody seems to have a problem with that on English Wikipedia, I guess it’s not grammatically incorrect…

So, does anybody know what’s the exact rule?

Hello Jaro,

I agree with you that the order of adjectives has NUMBERS FIRST.

Royal order of adjectives stated in the following link:
grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/adjectives.htm

I do doubt regarding your examples, though. In the examples they want to emphasize the nationality first and placed them in front, bending the rules in a way.

What do you think about this thought?

Regards,

Ozzy

Hi guys,
I found “Roman First Triumvirate”, “Roman First Civil War”, “German Third Reich”, and have a suspicion the list is far from being complete. (But First/Second Chechen War). So, French and Portuguese aren’t standing apart, as far as the matter is concerned. Need a judgement of the thinktank, don’t we?