"for" vs "to"

The role of the heart in love must come from what happens to it when a person feels strongly attracted to someone. The strong feelings … the other person, especially in the early stages of a relationship , have the results that the heart starts beating faster and breadthing starts speeding up

=> Which should be chosen to fill in the blank?

a. of
b. for
c. to
d. with

(I choose c (+_+))

Many thanks in advance.
Nessie.

And this also:

The heart has continuously been viewed as the place where love begins and develops. Even the Bible gives … to love and the heart

a. reference
b. citation
c. preference
d. quote

Hi Nessie

I’d say that the author of your first sentence probably expects you to choose (b) ‘for’.
I don’t like ‘to’ in the sentence, but ‘towards’ might work.

I’d say the author might be expecting (a) ‘reference’ in your second sentence.

Hi Amy,
Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

I have three more queries:

1. For the first question, which do you think is better, “for” or “towards”?
  2. For the second one, actually the answer is © - “preference”. This question is cited from the English test of the entrance examination to university 2008 (in my country). I myself think both (a) and © make sense. What do you think?
  3. I’ve heard (from someone I can’t remember) that people use “toward” (not “towards”) in American English. Is it right, Amy?

Many thanks
Nessie.

Hi Amy,
could you please let me know your idea? :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:
Nessie. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Nessie

I’d personally prefer ‘for’ in the sentence.

The collocation ‘gives preference to’ is certainly possible, but I don’t think it’s the best choice in the context. The phrase ‘gives preference to’ means ‘favors’, ‘prefers’, or ‘gives an advantage (to)’.

In the context, the previous sentence is this:
The heart has continuously been viewed as the place where love begins and develops.
To me, the word ‘continuously’ is important here. It places some focus on the idea of time.

The next sentence begins with the word ‘even’:
Even the Bible gives … to love and the heart.
The word ‘even’ is used to emphasize something that might be surprising. I don’t think the author meant to imply that it might be surprising that the Bible favors ‘love and heart’. Instead, I think the author simply wanted to say that the connection between love and heart has been mentioned by various people/sources for a surprisingly long time (i.e. even as long ago as when the Bible was written).

You’ll hear both ‘toward’ and ‘towards’ used in AmE. I believe only ‘towards’ is used in BE.

I’m also Vietnamese and I’ve just taken that exam. A friend of mine told me that “give reference to” didn’t exist and that “make reference to” was the appropriate expression. Therefore, the best choice for that sentence would be “give preference to”. However, I myself think that both choices make perfect sense. What do you guys think about it?

Nice to see you here, Atomos :slight_smile:
About your friend’s idea, let’s wait for Amy’s answer (I have the same idea as you)
By the way, how was your exam? :stuck_out_tongue: (10 marks in English?;))

Well, only 9 marks. I got 8 questions wrong (3 in Reading Comprehension, 4 in Cloze Test and 1 in Vocabulary). Anyway, I consider this year exam to be relatively easier than last year :wink: .

Hi Nessie

I agree that the collocation ‘make reference to’ is a very typical collocation.

However, it is not possible to say that ‘give reference to’ does not exist. The most that can be said is that ‘give reference to’ is not as typical a collocation.

The reason I might choose an uncommon collocation over a more common collocation was stated in my last post. To me, the sentences do not talk about a preference for love and the heart, but rather a long established tendency to refer to the heart whenever love is mentioned.

Thanks a lot for your explanation, Amy. I totally agree with you on the choice of “reference” here (according to the meaning)

Hi Atomos,
Yea, this year exam is easier than last year. There’s just one very bad thing: do you notice that all those reading tests are all either the Ministry’s textbook or last English tests? That is so unfair! I wonder why those knowledgeable test-makers can’t make out reading tests of their own (>_<)

P.S: by the way, I think you’re from HCM city, aren’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re correct here, Nessie. In fact, the harder reading test of the two (the reading that explain how reading habits have developed) is in the book named “Reading Practice Exercises” which my teacher gave me to prepare for the exam. However, I was too lazy to read (my bad :? ). As a result, I got 3 questions wrong :frowning: . That aside, the Cloze Tests of this year entrance exam to College were also very familiar and I had done them at least two times. Our test-makers are not very creative 8) .

Yes, I’m from HCM City :wink: .