For and because

Hi all,

Could you please explain to me how to use these two conjunctions " For, because" distinctly? I also need some examples to deeply understand. Thank you.

Best wishes,

MT

“because” and “for” are synonyms in their roles as conjunctions.
Only bear one thing in mind: “for” as a conjunction is old-fashioned, so avoid using it. Better stick to “because”.

Examples:
I couldn’t stay, for the area was violent.
Because it’s so cold we’ll go home.

The examples are courtesy of www.thefreedictionary.com

I don’t think what you just said was correct and complete OTS. As I know for clause can’t precede the clause it explains while because clause can.

This is the first time that I’ve heard that “for” as a conjunction is old-fashioned.

Examples of ‘for’ as a conjunction (‘for’ must precede an independent clause):
John thought he had a good chance of getting the job, for his father was on the company’s board of trustees.
Most of the visitors were happy just sitting around in the shade, for it had been a long, dusty journey on the train.

Yes, in modern English its use does sound rather old fashioned. ‘Because’ or ‘since’ would be more common.

Does an independent clause mean there’s no other clause after it or a subordinate clause?

A subordinate clause which has aits own meaning totally separate from the main clause. You can make two separate meaningful sentences by separating the phrases at the ‘for’. In my examples:
John thought he had a good chance of getting the job. / His father was on the company’s board of trustees.
Most of the visitors were happy just sitting around in the shade. / It had been a long, dusty journey on the train.

I know this. But must there be no other clause after a subordinate clause?

Another clause could possibly follow the second clause but it is inadvisable, for that would make a very long sentence, as can be seen in this example, don’t you agree?

I do.(a wink + smile emoticon)
I tried to make such sentence as yours as an example but I couldn’t. (What a pity there are no smiles)

If you want to convey ‘smiles’ you have to do it the old fashioned way :wink:

I’m not familiar with the way.

…or as an alternative you can use sites with emoticons

You can do that… I get the impression emoticons were turned off on this site for a reason, though, Tort.
(I’m sure I read on one of the forums that they were once allowed, but it led to problems with overuse.)