Finding mistake: The students in the dormitories were forbidden, unless they...

Hi,
Please check my answer to this exercise :
Finding mistake:

1 The students in the dormitories were forbidden, unless they have special passes, [color=red]from staying out after 11:30 P.M
----> from going
2 Contrary to popular belief, bananas are grown on the soft stalk of a leafy plant and not on trees with [color=red]wood trunks. —>wooden
3. [color=red]The manufacture and production of steel was one of the industries on which the country’s prosperity was found
—> the manufacture/ the production
4 [color=red]Despite this insistence that he should appear when there is an important event , the president attends press conference with the news media at his invitation.—> Because of

Thanks in advance

1 – No, but I cannot find the error in your underlined portions; I think ‘have’ should be ‘had’.

2 – Yes

1. No. Again, the mistake is not underlined. ‘Found’ should be ‘founded’.

4 --[b] I don’t think so. I cannot really find a solid error, but the final phrase, ‘at his invitation’. is very odd here.

All in all, they are not good questions (if you have transcribed them accurately) and probably written by a non-native speaker.[/b]

Thanks a lot

1 The students in the dormitories were forbidden, unless they ha[color=red]d special passes, from staying out after 11:30 P.M
I found the first sentence in the source below:
bbs.yookao.com/viewFile.asp?BoardID=14&ID=907
The answer is “from staying”

1. The manufacture and production of steel was one of the industries on which the country’s prosperity was found[color=red]ed
    I think the word “was” can’t go with the subject “the manufature and production”

Sorry for the spelling mistake I’ve made(the word "founded’ and “had”)

1-- It is not wrong. Passes could either keep students in after 11:30 OR permit them to stay out until 11:30. This is not a language question.

2-- Yes it can; it depends on whether the speaker is thinking of ‘manufacture and production’ as one process or two. And one proof that this exam is substandard is that the two words (‘manufacture’, ‘production’) mean the same.

Hello Sung Tung,

I agree with everything that Mister Micawber has said.
The only thing that I would add is that probably the person who wrote the test wanted you to change “from staying” to “to stay” in the first sentence.

[color=darkblue]__________________________________________
[size=75]To be able to ask a question clearly is two-thirds of the way to getting it answered. ~ John Ruskin[/size]