Fie on ambitions! Fie on myself.

Hi,

Fie on ambitions! Fie on myself, that have a sword and yet am ready to famish! These five days have I hid me in these woods and durst not peep out, for all the country is laid for me; but now am I so hungry that, if I might have a lease of my life for a thousand years, I could stay no longer.

In the above quotation from King Henry VI by William Shakespeare, I found that fie on something/someone (or even ourselves) is an interjection used to express surprise, dismay, pain or other feelings and emotions.

I want to ask if “Fie on myself” can be mentioned in everyday English?

Thanks.

No, “fie” is archaic.

OK and thanks.
One more question Dozy. :slight_smile: I just can’t get my head around this quote “Success is the necessary misfortune of life, but it is only to the very unfortunate that it comes early” by Anthony Trollope.

As far as I can tell, there is no hidden or cryptic meaning; it means exactly what it says. If you read it in context ( books.google.co.uk/books?id=3X8C … of+life%22 ), the author has just reeled off a list of reasons why being successful may not be such a great thing.

Thanks for the link! After reading that specific paragraph, I managed to get the message. Many thanks, Dozy.