Favorite Words In English?

I have so many. All of them dorky and overly girl-esque.
So someone else go first, coax me out of my shell!

1 Like

Favorite Wordsā€¦

I like spectacularā€¦itā€™s just fun to use in everyday conversation :O)

1 Like

My favourite English words are just ordinary words, I guess, but they have a special something (maybe also because of their meaning). Here are a few of them:

Butterfly, hedgehog, heather, peach, lullaby, pumpkin, raggamuffin, bumblebee, brook, honey, cherry blossom, snowflake, willow, dawn, sunflower, rainbow and Paul (this name sounds best in English, to me).

1 Like

I like the ones that end in ā€œhappyā€, such as trigger-happy, slap-happy, law-suit-happy, etc.

1 Like

LUNCHTIME!

1 Like

:lol:

All the words to do with food are also big favourites with me! And if I had to choose a meal, Iā€™d say tea or supper (Iā€™m unable to swallow anything solid first thing in the morning, while Iā€™m usually ravenous in the afternoon/evening).

1 Like

I knew a guy in Canada from Peru,who after three years living in the country only knew the word lunchtime in english and he was yelling it whenever he had a chance, didnā€™t matter where he was.
Because of him I like this word even better.

1 Like

I have a problem that when I hear detailed descriptions of food, I nearly gag. There will be advertisements on the radio that try to stimulate your appetite by explaining every detail of some meal they offer, but it has the opposite effect on me, and I lose my appetite. So all the food words are among my least favorite.

On the other hand, I have no problem eating while viewing a medical operation on TV.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny, because Iā€™m exactly the opposite of you ā€“ to the point that I feel frustrated if I canā€™t see what people have on their plates on in their cups in films (usually I must dart to the kitchen and have something too). I hate it when they are just pretending to drink or eat. One of our favourite TV commercials at home used to be that of Heinz Ketchup. Luckily they didnā€™t dub what the (American) guy was singing: ā€œHeinz Ketchuuup, I like to pour it on my grubā€, and on it went, describing different menus, which, out of consideration for you, I wonā€™t enumerate. It was a bit of a challenge to sing it, because, ā€˜commercialwiseā€™ you had to cram in a lot of words in the shortest possible time, but we managed to learn the song, eventually ā€“ it also made for good English practice!

:o
Oh well, we all have our weird sides, havenā€™t we?

1 Like

My favourite is splendid :slight_smile: don`t ask whyā€¦

1 Like

I get similar frustrations when I read old novels. A book by Theodore Dreiser about Chicago in the late 1800s drove me crazy, because I wanted to know every detail about everything. I wanted to know how the department store was lighted and how the light looked; I wanted to know what the weave of the fabrics was like. I even wanted to know how the men and women smelled. I think the men smelled like cigars, booze and cologne. Was this smell considered attractive by women? The women probably smelled like that same combination of perfume and B.O. that many women in Eastern Europe still have, and you canā€™t get a modern-day American to believe itā€™s sexy any more than heā€™ll believe that unshaven legs and underarms are not offensive.

In elementary school, our teachers would occasionally let us watch an instructional movie backwards. We especially enjoyed it when people removed pieces of meat from their mouths and reassembled the steaks on their plates.

There was a Heinz ketchup ad that made its way to Europe in the 1980s. It was a ā€œtestā€ to see which brand of ketchup most people at a picnic chose. It purportedly proved that Heinz is ā€œAmericaā€™s best-loved ketchup,ā€ but all it really proved was that (a) most people are right-handed, and (b) people donā€™t care what kind of ketchup they use.

1 Like

Could it be ā€œAn American Tragedyā€? Itā€™s the only book I have by Theodore Dreiser and I never even finished reading it. First, I have the German translation and when I started the book, my German was quite shaky (not that itā€™s that good now). Then, although the story is interesting, I found it too slow and depressing. Well, perhaps I should give this book another try some time to find out more about poor Clydeā€™s misadventures.

Iā€™m also very interested in all the tiniest details, thatā€™s why I enjoy vivid and descriptive narratives so much. Luckily some authors have the rare ability to transport you to the places they describe (and often to their charactersā€™ souls as well) in an unforgettable way.

This thing about smells is funny. When I read about life (or watch a film set) in the Middle Ages or in any long-ago period ā€“ it doesnā€™t have to be that far back, I imagine the smells and odours people and places must have exuded. Itā€™s enough to put me off longing to have lived in those far-off days! Well, not quite, but still, it definitely takes away some of the charm!

1 Like

The book I was reading by Dreiser was ā€œSister Carrieā€.

Dreiserā€™s from the same genre as Sinclair Lewis. He follows the development of some corrupt person, and as he exploits more and more people around him, you wait for him to get his comeuppance, but he never does. The novel always ends without any poetic justice having been meted out.

This makes the novels frustrating to read. Some people would say they were realistic, because the bad people get away with their evil forever. However, I think that stories where the evil are never punished are just as unrealistic as ones where they are always punished.

1 Like

My top ten favorite words are:

1. Irresistible
  2. Boop
  3. Spectacular
  4. Outrageous
  5. Serenity/serenade/ serendipity
  6. Romantic
  7. Passionate
  8. Mesmerize
  9. Fantasize
  10. Discombobulate