Expression

Hi dear friends,
I would like to know what does
FESS UP MEANS?

Hello Joao

In that expression, “fess” is a shortened form of the word “confess”. If you told someone to “fess up”, you would be telling that person to admit to something. It can be used to in a situation where the error or wrong-doing is fairly serious and also when the infraction is quite minor. It is often used in a casually friendly way, particularly when you tell someone directly to “fess up”.
[color=darkblue]

[size=75]“If you mess up, 'fess up.” ~ author unknown[/size]

“Confess up” something to a person, is like to tell someone a secret?

thank you

Hi Emily,

If you use ‘confess’ on its own, you don’t need ‘up’. When you confess, you are admitting you have done something wrong and have previously not wanted to admit it,

Alan

Time to fess up, Alan. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t have expected a Brit such as yourself to be familiar with “fess up”. Were you actually familiar with that expression before today?

[color=darkblue]_________________________________________
[size=75]“A man’s errors are his portals of discovery.” ~ James Joyce[/size]

Hi dear Alan,
that one you gave is just good, I did not know. thank you again sir.

Hi Amy,

Yes, indeed. You must remember that TV here is flooded with American movies!

Alan

In what case do you use “Confess up”?

Thank you

Hi Emily,

The answer is you don’t.

Alan

Hi, please look at your question again and correct it. Also, please use meaningful titles for your questions. How meaningful would you say is ‘expression’ as a title?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Co-workers talk about the installation of the company’s new computer system.[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello,
This expression seems to be very interesting, so is it ok to say for a friend :“Fess up, it was you who told the wrong answer ?” Or please provide any other situation in order we, students, could feel the expression and use it in future properly, as native speakers normally do.

ooh… is like an “idiom” (informal expressions)?

Thank you!