Expression "rise with the season"

This is from a poem by John Mole:
“A grief that covers its face in shame
Then rises with the season
As if from sleep”.
Can you please explain what “rises with the season” means?
Thank you!

Hi Gabriela,

Welcome to English-test.net.

If something rises with the season, it happens regularly at a particular time of the year.

In Mole’s poem, without reading the whole poem, it’s a bit difficult to say exactly what he’s referring to, but based on what you cited, something is like a grief that occurs at a particular time of year (sparked by a memory, perhaps, or anniversary of an event?), which hibernates during most of the year, but is renewed/envoked afresh at a particular time each year.

Could you provide the entire poem, or at least the title? It’s difficult to analyze and interpret just a few lines out of a poem.

Hi Gabriela,

‘Rises’ in your quote suggests to me that the grief referred to, comes back to life - comes back to ‘haunt’, as it were, the poet

Alan

I know the feeling. You? :frowning:

Many thanks to all of you! I think I’ve got it. However, Skrej, here’s the poem, it’s called “Wings”. I can see you’re a cat, so please don’t go thinking it’s about fried chicken (joke, of course).

Whether or not they are of angels
Or just the makeshift would-be
Of human flight from humdrum
To grace, theirs is a sudden restlessness
On buoyant shoulders, an uplift
Aimed at joy and making it.
So for every earthbound thought
There’s the counter-weight,
A grief that covers its face in shame
Then rises with the season
As if from sleep, unfolding wings
To journey through the brightness of the air.

The grief that “rises” is the “counterweight” to the “earthbound thought”; analogous seemingly to the “uplift aimed at joy”.

It covers its face in shame presumably because it is no longer behaving as grief should behave: instead, it rises “as if from sleep”, and unfolds its wings (as from a chrysalis) towards “brightness”.

“With the season”, i.e. with the new “season”: the change in personal weather, after the period of grief.

MrP

Thank you, MrP!