Expression: ...he toasted us...

Hello and good day,

I need help to fully understand the underlined expression in the following sentence.

Tasnim poured glasses of brandy - the smell alone could have killed a small animal - and he toasted us gallantly, his yellow-toothed smile wide and genuine.

I understand that “toasted” here is a verb and “us” is the object that is being toasted, but if I were to express a similar expression I would mostly be saying he toasted at us. Now, my question is, is putting “at” here sounds unnatural?(meaning, a native is most likely to say “he toasted us”) Or does it change the meaning completely? Like, he toasted, at us, but not to us.

Thank you in advance.

Nina

‘Toast’ is a transitive verb and takes a direct object without a preposition. It has the sense of drinking and wishing someone success:

Let’s toast Nina’s health in wine!

With ‘toast’ as a noun, you can use the preposition ‘to’:

Let’s drink a toast to your future happiness!

Thank you very very much, Conchita :slight_smile: . So I take it putting “at” here is wrong? But I have some more questions.

“in” here means with a lot, lot, lot of wine, right? And if we use “with wine” here it would sound rigid or unfashionable, wouldn’t it?

Hi Nina,
Your little angle really impressed me. May she have a long cheerful life.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard it said like that. To me, at least, it doesn’t sound right.

No, not necessarily! A glass or even just a sip will also do nicely. Come to think of it, the expression does sound a bit as if we should get inside a barrel!

No, I don’t think so.

:lol:

Thank you again, Conchita.

Hello there, and how do you do :slight_smile:

Are you referring to the little angels on the pics that I posted? Well, thank you for the wish. I wish the same for you :smiley:

Nina