Expression for the state when a child starts to understand things around him

Hi

I would like to know the expression for the state when a child starts to understand things around him–I mean, how would a [color=blue]20 year(s) old man say the following lines? (I am concerned about the red part and needs it in natural and correct English.)

1- [color=red]Ever since I developed a maturity level, I always found my father completely drunk.

2- [color=red]Ever since I met my maturity level, I always found my father completely drunk.

3- [color=red]Ever since I became mature, I always found my father completely drunk.

I hope you understand what I am asking…? :shock:

Tom

PS: [color=blue]Is it 20 years old man or [color=blue]20 year old man?

Hi,

Simply say: Since I’ve grown up’ ‘Now that I’ve grown up’. It’s highly reminiscent to me of those lines from the Bible (said by St Paul) here in the 17th century translation into English:

A

Hi Tom

Here’s another suggestion:

I’ve known that my father is always completely drunk ever since I was old enough to understand.

Actually, neither nor. The word ‘year’ should be singular and you need hyphens:
twenty-year-old man
20-year-old man

Amy

Other ways to express it might be:

[i]Ever since I can remember

(For) as long as I can remember

Since I reached the age of reason[/i].

For those who don’t know, Alan was quoting Paul in 1 Corinthians 13 (read: first Corinthians, chapter 13).

This is one of the most beautiful chapters in the Bible. Here it is in the NIV format:

Love

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Didn’t you just know it! America again!

A

I’m not sure what exactly your point is, Alan, but it sure doesn’t sound like it is rosy. :shock: There were Britons also involved in the NIV project…

Is there something inherently wrong with providing a linguistically updated version of the Bible? Something that is easier for “the King James challenged” to understand?