Expression: "Easy come easy go"

Hello

Could you please tell me the sentence structure of:

1- Easy come, easy go.

Is easy an adverb here and go a verb?

Is there any substitute in your mind for this proverb?

Tom

Hi Tom,

This isn’t really a proverb, it’s more a way of describing an attitude of mind when you don’t really worry or bother about anything. Everything is, as we say, like water off a duck’s back as far as you are concerned. An adjective that comes to mind is lackadaisical.

Alan

I don’t understand that expression the way Alan does, and I’ve never heard it used that way. I’ve only heard it to mean that various things in life are ephemeral, and/or that things that are obtained easily are lost easily. This can go for money, superficial romantic relationships, etc.

Hi Tom

Russian equivalent for the phrase is как нажито, так и прожито (for those who can read Russian) and has the meaning ‘something that you get too easy, usually go away easily, too’ (for example, money won in a lottery).

One of my Russian-English dictionaries gives the following proverb (as an English equivalent):
What is got over the devil’s back is spent under his belly

Tamara

Should I say the truth?

When I was sending the query I could “lay odds” that Mr. Micawber would be the first one to answer it.

How wrong I was! :frowning:

Tom

By the way, many and many thanks to you, Alan and Jamie for your precious comments. I did not mean any disrespect to you by my next post-- just wanted to know Mr. Micawber’s opinion about the saying.

Thanks again

Tom

Hi Tom,

No need to apologise - it’s water off a duck’s back as far as I’m concerned.

Alan