Expression: a bower of roses

Hi,

Could you please help me out with:

1. In the first underlined part, does ‘this thin hedge’ refer to the ‘fences’ or the ‘clumps of golden rod’? Does ‘them’ refer to the ‘shorn wheat-lands’? I am very confused.
  2. With the second part, I was very interested in the expression ‘unsoftened by kindly gardens’. Does it mean:
    -a. was not softened by kindly gardens which existed there.? or
    -b. was not softened because there were no kindly gardens there.?
  1. Does ‘drove off’ mean ‘started the car’ or ‘smartly drove the car (onto the road) in the heavy traffic…’?
  2. Does ‘gave way in…’ mean ‘gave way with such thoughts as…’?
  3. Does ‘a bower of roses’ mean ‘a boudoir of roses’?

Many thanks in advance.

Haihao

1. In the first underlined part, does ‘this thin hedge’ refer to the ‘fences’ or the ‘clumps of golden rod’? – the weed stalks, the fence, and the clumps

Does ‘them’ refer to the ‘shorn wheat-lands’? – ‘them’ is the people talked of, I presume.

1. With the second part, I was very interested in the expression ‘unsoftened by kindly gardens’. Does it mean: -b. was not softened because there were no kindly gardens there. – Yes

2. Does ‘drove off’ mean ‘started the car’ or ‘smartly drove the car (onto the road) in the heavy traffic…’? – Drove away into the traffic

3. Does ‘gave way in…’ mean ‘gave way with such thoughts as…’? – I think ‘gave way’ = conceded, acknowledging ‘what she saw’.

4. Does ‘a bower of roses’ mean ‘a boudoir of roses’? – Sort of: a wonderful place to come to.

I would suppose that “gave way in” means “gave in” with an adverb “way”.
So, she gave in to her thoughts…
(Might it be interpreted as I explained ?)

Hi LS

Because ‘gave way in’ is followed by a colon, my take is that ‘in’ means something similar to “in thinking the following thoughts”.

Thank you all so very much. They’re all as clear as a bell now. I had presumed and wished Main Street might be a softer touch than The Jungle Book before I took it up but now I have realized I was wrong…, again. But thanks to you and with your help, I feel I can still get through it.

Haihao