Everyday, Everybody, Everyone etc

Hello teachers

Kindly tell me if there are any instances when we can use the given words as two words,i.e,

• everybody— as----- every body
  • everyday-----as----- every day
  • everyone-----as----- every one

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi Tom

You should be able to find information regarding “everyday” and “every day” in a dictionary. :shock:

But, to answer your question in a nutshell: Yes.

• everybody = every person
    ** every body = every body (e.g., every dead body)
    *** every body of --> e.g.: every body of water

• everyday = commonplace or ordinary
    ** every day = daily

• everyone = every person
    ** every one = all (of them), eg: “There were 10 hamburgers on the table and the dog ate every one (of them)!”
    *** every one of --> you can also say “every single one of”
    **** each and every one (of them) = emphatic for “all (of them)” or similar to “every single one of” or “every last one of”

Does that satisfy your ravenous curiosity? :lol:

Amy

Dear Amy

It was really helpful.
Can you do me another favour? Kindly use the given in sentences. This was the only one I could not understand.

EVERYDAY:
EVERY DAY:

Thanks

Yours ever
Tom

Dear Amy

Are you there everyday? :smiley:

Tom

Hi Tom

Jan’s suggestion is very good. You can find many examples using Google. The only suggestion I would make is that you should make sure that the examples you look at come from a website in the UK, US, Canada, Australia, etc.

A couple examples:

Tom asks questions every day.

How can a company go from being just an everyday company to a market leader?

Amy

Thank you, Amy

It is not that I do not use 'Google" or other search engines, it is only that they are deprived of HUMAN TOUCH. :smiley:

Amy, you wrote:

" A couple examples."

New structure for me. Can I also say a couple friends, books, days etc? By the way, couple= how many? five, six…?

Tom

Hi Tom

Yes, you can say “a couple” or “a couple of”. The usage is informal. And can also be found in dictionaries. :wink:

It technically means “two”, but can also also be used to mean “a few”. (I would say using “a couple” to mean more than 5 would be stretching things a bit too far.)

Amy