Essay: the responsibility of University

Hi there, here’s another essay that focuses on giving opinion. please read and comment…
time: 36 minutes

Some people believe that universities are responsible for preparation of young people for employment. Others believe universities have other responsibilities. What do you think about the responsibility of universities?

Generally, people often view universities as the institution that responsible solely to produce future employees. In my opinion, the task of universities are not limited only to prepare young people for their future employment. In this essay, i will mention several other tasks of universities.

As the center of excellent, universities hold responsibility to build up a better society, both in domestically and internationally. This difficult task is completed by producing some new inventions and academic researches that can bring some improvements to mankind. We can take the area of environmental chemistry as an example. Students who study in this department are expected to discover a new form of chemical configuration that can help the world to preserve the environment.

Additionally, universities also hold a task as independent observer and neutral evaluator. Universities are expected to give opinion and academical analysis in all aspect of life, depending on the discipline. For instance, Department of Law at University of Indonesia has been constantly producing neutral opinions that are free from any political interest or government interference, regarding the performance of current governmental regime in Indonesia. Additionally, as these opinion are constantly being published in national newspaper, University of Indonesia at the same time is acting as mediator between government and fellow academia

In sort, Universities carry some task not only as the main institution to produce high-quality future employee, but also as independent institution to bring about some positive changes to government and society in general.

TOEFL listening lectures: What does ‘monotreme’ mean?

there should be IS istead of ARE in the first line of the essay if i am correct.

2nd paragraph, As the centre of excellance, ---------both domestically and internationally…

Additionally, universities also serve as observers and neutral evaluators.

Academic analysis in every aspect of life.

In short, … re phrase or write another conclusion …

Thats my opinion :), Otherwise its all good…

Although i m a student n not an expert … so dont mind my mistakes as well lol

thanks for the comment Chuneedah…i’ve seen most of your works and i’m amazed by it…for sure you’ll get at least 7.5 in writing…i’ll be having IELTS tests this saturday…if i’m not mistaken, you’ll also be having IELTS test, right?

Yeah 23rd is the date… good luck to you too

vendetta have you practiced speaking ? i haven’t had the chance of having conversation with someone in english but i think if i try and be relaxd through the speaking session i can score a bit over 6 …

Some people believe that universities are responsible for preparation of young people for employment.

The first sentence is correct, it should be UNIVERSITIES ARE = the word universities is in plural, so I think that ARE sounds correct!

Good luck in IELTS!

@ papatyae : thanks, but i always confuse in this area…hopefully Kitos will appear soon

@ Chuneedah: so far, i’ve been practicing alone, though i frequently talk with my workmate, i found it different…you know…we are communicating in a very casual way…and jokes around most of the time…but the speaking test would be very formal…but just a tip to share, i regularly read any english article out loud, in a hope that i can increase my fluency and pronounciation

i was talking about the line " in my opinion, the task of universities is not limited to only prepare…" because you wrote TASK not TASKS … so there shouldn’t be are in it …
Vendetta which module u find the most difficult?

A tip from my side would be to know atleast 2 synonyms of every word that you write or that is in the question … right now em getting as many synonyms as i can for the common words that are used in the ielts essay question, the questions are easy to find on the internet, there are a lot of them … ielts-blog.com/ this is an excellant site to visit

i’ve been practicing listening and reading modules…i dont wanna be over-confident about it but so far i got 33-37 out of 40. how about you?
i guess the most difficult one for me is writing and speaking module.,btw…i’ve visited that site quite often, it’s really good

my reading is about the same as yours 33-35 on average and listening is quite good if i dont get confused in the last section that’s a bit hard but on average its the same as reading … what band can we get by answering atleast 33 correct??

it depends on what IELTS test you are doing…academic and general training have different scoring system for reading. you can check it from this site ieltsmelbourne.com/ielts-band-score-calculator/

it says, for 33 correct answers, you’ll get 7 for academic, or 6 for general training

I m going to give academic…