It is more important for students to understand ideas and concepts than it is for them to learn facts -- TOEFL

Can someone rate and correct my essay, please?

Nowadays, we live in an extremely innovative and accessible era of information. There is a heated debate on whether students should develop facts rather than concepts or ideas. Some people believe that students should learn more of facts, while others assume that understanding of concepts or ideas add a great value to their lives. In my opinion ,learning of concepts is essential for the following three reasons.

First, it is important to acknowledge that understanding of ideas and concepts is critically important for students in 21 century. It is commonly believed that students don’t usually perceive facts or even hate dates, because it is a hard task to memorize in order to learn. It is undeniable that there are sagacious students who always seek theoretical knowledge but as far I’m concerned , most students treat facts as a arid and challenging process. For this important reason, it is better to learn ideas or concepts first. It seems to be true that we don’t perceive theories, facts, sophisticated formulas, since we don’t know how they work in real life. Furthermore, if we’re willing to know how the law of gravitation works, it’s better to apply Newton’s law to our daily routine. Let’s take an example of a ball tied to rope. If we are going to cut the rope, a ball is likely to fall down , since it has some weight. So, I believe that students should always apply their knowledge to the real world , in order to acquire an accurate meaning.

In addition, knowledge is key to our survival. When students begin to acquire new knowledge and information , they tend to broaden their expertise in particular areas. Clearly, increased access to information challenges students to some extent, because they don’t learn how to use all the theoretical knowledge. Universities play an increasingly important role in the life of young people, as they are responsible for not only teaching them how to memorize theories or facts, but also how to apply to real world settings, such as work.

Lastly, facts are generally strict and precise and it is impossible to experience or feel them. I hold the opinion that students should create and develop their own concepts and ideas relating to facts. I have a perfect example to make my point. Several years ago, I was intended to make a presentation for my clients who have children with ASD and it was crucial to explain various important aspects of working with children. They asked me to explain what sensorial pressure means. What I did is that I showed them with my colleague how a typical child with ASD reacts to surrounding sounds. After such clear demonstration, parents clearly developed their individual approach to “ sensorial pressure”.

To conclude, I would say that there is a close association between facts and ideas, and both of them are highly crucial for students. However, if we are able to investigate the meaning of fact and how it is related to practical world, we would easily understand any fact.

2 Likes

I think you might be able to achieve a score of 16 to 18 if that’s all you are focused on.

1 Like