Essay: Has the automobile improved modern life?

Hello. Another essay to check if I has progressed. Please review and rate.

Some people think that the automobile has improved modern life.
Others think that the automobile has caused serious problems. What
is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your
answer.

There are many ways of transportation that people can use in nowadays. I believe that automobile is one of the greatest inventions that changed the way we commute and live. I feel this way for two main reasons. First, an automobile is the most versatile kind of transportation. Second, an automobile has become a very private kind of transportation. For these reasons, I feel that an automobile has brought more benefits for us than caused serious problems.

To begin with, an automobile is a very versatile type of transportation. Having an automobile extends the capability of a person to move. It increases the level of freedom an individual has. For example, an automobile can be used to drive to work on business days and to recreation destinations on weekends and holidays. Furthermore, it can help to solve some everyday problems like moving personal belongings when a person changes his or her place of living. On extra occasions it can be used to earn some extra money by giving a lift for tip. 

Secondly, I feel that an automobile has become a very personal kind of transportation. Psychologically we treat any space that has visible barriers around us as a personal space. In this way an automobile is not different from any other space that our brain treats as a safe spot or shelter. Such a feeling makes us feel safe and comfortable in an automobile. Add here your favourite music and you get portable wheeled house that can get anywhere you wish. I think that no other type of transportation can offer such a feeling of privacy in an everyday life.

To sum up, I think that an automobile improved our lives much more than any other kind of transportation. This is because the ways the automobiles are used in everyday life are so different, and because the automobiles can make a time we spend driving along so private. There is no other type of transportation that brings so many advantages to our lives than an automobile.

TOEFL listening discussions: What is the purpose of this meeting?

Hi Mdenissov, I think you have definitely progressed. Much of this essay sounded very polished and natural. Your content is good and addresses the prompt well. You do have a few sentences though that don’t sound quite right and a few errors in your article use. I would rate this a 4 out of 5.

Hi Mdenissov, I think you have definitely progressed. Much of this essay sounded very polished and natural. Your content is good and addresses the prompt well. You do have a few sentences though that don’t sound quite right and a few errors in your article use. I would rate this a 4 out of 5.