Errors in the tests

I delete posts all the time, EU-- and I hereby authorize Torsten to delete any of my posts he deems deletable.

Hi,

Why?

All the best

EU

I used to delete posts all the time too, EU. Especially the X-rated ones and the ones with messages such as “lkjhyfgff”. :lol:

Some of the reasons: no content; no progress; off-topic; rude or obscene; confrontational; meaningless (‘lkjhyfgff’); duplicated or multiple posting; critical of management or ownership of a privately operated website; spam; trolling; advertising; etc.

All the best what?

This test question needs correction.
english-test.net/forum/ftopi … html#62439
(“US Government Questions Test (5), question 1”)

The word person’s needs to be changed to person.

A problem was identified in this test back in April, but the test has not been changed yet:
english-test.net/forum/ftopi … _emmigrant

(US Government Questions Test (6), question 8 )

It was agreed that the correct answer should be emigrant.

I sympathize with elementary level students who have tried and failed to understand all the sentences in this test:
english-test.net/esl/learn/e … l-test.php

It’s not a particularly easy read even for a native speaker. That’s just my opinion.

Sorry you are having difficulty with one of my tests, Amy. What seems to be the problem?

Alan

[color=blue]Original post DELETED

[size=92]*** I’ve deleted the first example of where fine-tuning might be needed in this particular test, Alan. My opinion hasn’t changed, but if you ask for details and then don’t bother to say or do anything at all when details are provided, then there’s no point in leaving the information here. I will simply continue to warn my students that the tests have lots of errors. ***[/size]

[color=blue]Original post DELETED

[size=92]I’ve deleted the additional details of where and why some fine-tuning might be needed in this particular test.
english-test.net/esl/learn/e … l-test.php[/size]

Question mark missing-- HERE.

Hi,

I left out the question mark to indicate that it is a request/invitation/instruction assuming the driver will move the car and it is not open for negotiation.

Alan

Very creative, Alan, but I don’t think you have that option-- it is still a question by structure if not by pragmatics.

It’s not a matter of being creative, Charles but merely an indication that this isn’t a question and therefore doesn’t require a question mark. If you say to someone: Will you close the door. You are not expecting a reply but compliance.

Alan

Well. how about an exclamation point then-- something to make it look less odd from the western side of the Atlantic?

Though some may find this hard to believe, I’d agree with Alan on this one.

Does this look odd to no one but me?

OK-- you win a lose, you few a few.

Hi

Very interesting discussion indeed! But please don’t leave it unfinished because my posts almost always start like this:

For example:

english-test.net/forum/ftopic19287.html

english-test.net/forum/ftopic19497.html

Tom

Hi MM
Yes, that one does look odd to me. :lol:
For that one, I’d definitely use a question mark – or possibly an exclamation point if I wanted to indicate a loud, impatient voice.

As I see it, in a longer, more complicated sentence which serves as a polite demand (especially one that is an announcement made over a PA system as the test sentence apparently was), the period/full stop is appropriate even though the word order is interrogative. The sentence isn’t really a question – the interrogative word order serves only to make the demand politer.

To be honest, though, using a question mark in the test sentence wouldn’t have seemed completely wrong to me either. I just think the period is more appropriate in this particular case.

I’d be interested in hearing what others think of this test sentence and what changes would be appropriate:
english-test.net/forum/ftopic3163.html#63413

(Incomplete/advanced-5 “Learning tips and instructions”, question 5 )