'English' or 'english'

Dear All

Could you please tell me the difference?

1- English
2- english

I am telling you for sure that I have seen the latter :smiley: , though I do not seem to recall where.

Tom

Hi Tom,

As far as I know, the only way of spelling ‘English’ (when referring to the language or the nationality) correctly is with a capital e: names of languages and nationality words should be spelt with capital letters. However, it’s quite common that people misspell words such words, and therefore you might well come across texts where ‘English’ is spelt ‘english’.

Hi Tom :smiley:

My first clairvoyant episode of the day tells me you might have seen it in the following thread:

Do you have any regrets about things you’ve done?
[size=75]http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic8878-15.html#27950[/size]

(Please pay close attention to what Jamie wrote there — in particular the “schmuck” part. :lol:)

My second clairvoyant episode wasn’t really so clairvoyant. I just happend to spot the name of this website in the above link. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amy

PS

This begs the question: When does this word not refer to those things? Examples would be good. :?:

From the American Heritage Dict:

5. also english a. The spin given to a propelled ball by striking it on one side or releasing it with a sharp twist. b. Bodily movement in an effort to influence the movement of a propelled object.

Leave it to, Mr. M :lol:

Do you also happen to know whether this usage is connected with a specific sport or sports? And why it’s thought to be English? :lol:

Amy

Do you know this SITE,

Yank?

Hi MM

Yes, I do know that site. But I hadn’t looked there for an answer. Thanks. Billiards sounds like a logical possibility. Unfortunately I’m not a pool player — unless it’s a pool filled with water, that is. :lol:

Amy