English levels

Hello my dear coaches.

I have a question. According to my respected langauge coaches here on this forum, what are the levels of english language? Which level is supposed to be the highest level in english?

Thank you

1 Like

Hi,

There are many words to describe levels in language. If you wanted to describe the highest or best, you would say: She speaks perfect English.

Alan

1 Like

Basitpasha, regardless of what you define as ‘your level of English’, you should always capitalize the word ‘English’. Also, you can take an international English test such as the TOEIC or an exam such as the LCCI EfB to determine your level of English.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Visiting a patient

Different testing bodies have different level designations, and they don’t always draw the boundaries in the same place.

A man I knew spent a few months in Germany learning German, and he had been introduced to the EU system of rating language proficiency: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, etc. He came back falsely complaining that we didn’t have anything like this in the US. We had to explain that we have the ACTFL rating system, which is exactly the same thing, but it gives the levels different names and draws the boundaries in different places. There are still other American systems that rate language proficiency in still other ways.

It would be hard to tell what the very highest level of proficiency is, because after you surpass the levels in the rating systems, the sky is the limit, and people’s areas of proficiency can vary so much. Someone can have perfect technical English but be terrible at telling jokes. Maybe he can write a novel, but he can’t explain a financial chart.

1 Like

Wikipedia has a good article comparing how different tests score fluency in English en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eur … _Languages

1 Like

Thanks everyone who answered my question, Jamie K, you have got what exactly i was asking. I am confused about my level of english. I can understand spoken english and also written english, but when it comes to writting an essay or analyze a current political situation, it confuses me a lot. I want to make my English language stronger in two years. guide me please.

Thank you everyone.

1 Like

Basitpasha, I think the only answer to this problem is to read a lot and just look for chances to write and talk. It sounds like your passive command of English is good, but the only way to improve your active command is to act.

By the way, the names of languages are written with a capital letter in English. So my language is English, not “english”.

1 Like

Jamie (K), Thank you so much. I will turn myself towards your suggestion.

1 Like

I feel English level tests actually help one get more comfortable with English tests and hence there is a need to provide more information about it.

B1 Test Book Online

You can find out your level of English with this test: Tests | english.best

1 Like