Effects of automation and mechanization

Lately, more and more work has to be done by machines. Do you think the positive effects of this development outweigh the negative effects on individuals and society?

Answer:

It has been a hot topic for a long time that whether the advantages of automation and mechanization exceed its disadvantages. Some people hold fear for this social change, such as in the movie “I, Robot”: robots attempt to take control over human beings as the result of automation. Despite the daunting future illustrated by some people, my viewpoint is that the advantages of such development outweigh the disadvantages.

There are three main advantages. First of all, machines are more efficient than human labor. With one liter of fossil fuel burnt, the productivity of an IC engine equals about fifty hands of workers operating for twenty-four hours. It is obvious to see that machines save time while reducing the costs. Secondly, machines are able to finish tasks that are dangerous, monotonous, or beyond the human capabilities, such as those are involved in fire, outer space, underwater, volcanoes, nuclear facilities, housework and factory production processing. Having dangerous tasks to be done by machines also provides a safer working environment for people. Finally, since human labor are replacing by machines, which freeing us from hard physical and unskilled, low-skilled jobs, people have more time to spend on education, personal relationships, and their hobbies; they have more opportunities to fulfill their lives and achieve dreams.

In spite of the benefits, there are disadvantages. One major concern is that such development will cause unemployment as less-expensive machines are taking the place of humans. Nevertheless, the unemployment can be avoided by changing gradually, which allows people to adjust to the shift by obtaining higher, more creative skills.

In conclusion, I think that, either for individuals and the society, our future will be brighter as machines are being more and more developed to help people.

words: 318

Hi Kitos. I’m sorry about the absence over last month, but I didn’t break my promise and kept writing everyday. I was just too busy and often off-line. However I’m back now and I hope that this time I’ll post my essays everyday.[/i]

TOEFL listening discussions: What upsets the young man’s mother?

Lately, more and more work has to be done by machines. Do you think the positive effects of this development outweigh the negative effects on individuals and society?

Answer:

It has been a hot topic for a long time that AS TO whether the advantages of automation and mechanization exceed its disadvantages. Some people hold fear for this social change, such as in the movie “I, Robot”: robots attempt to take control over human beings as the result of automation. Despite the daunting future illustrated by some people, my viewpoint is that the advantages of such development outweigh the disadvantages.

There are three main advantages. First of all, machines are more efficient than human labor. With one LITRE of fossil fuel burnt, the productivity of an IC engine equals about fifty hands of workers operating for twenty-four hours. It is obvious to see that machines save time while reducing the costs.

Secondly, machines are able to finish tasks that are dangerous, monotonous, or beyond the human capabilities, such as those are involved in fire, outer space, underwater, volcanoes, nuclear facilities, housework and factory production processing. Having dangerous tasks to be done by machines also provides a safer working environment for people. Finally, since human labor are LABOUR IS BEING replacED by machines, THIS IS freeing us from hard physical and unskilled, low-skilled jobs(.) People have more time to spend on education, personal relationships, and their hobbies; they have more opportunities to fulfil their lives and achieve dreams.

In spite of the benefits, there are disadvantages. One major concern is that such development will cause unemployment as less-expensive machines are taking the place of humans. Nevertheless, the unemployment can be avoided by changing gradually, which allows people to adjust to the shift by GAINING higher, more creative skills.

In conclusion, I think that, either for individuals and the society, our futureS will be brighter as machines are being more and more developed to help people.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
This was quite a change from the usual topics. You did well, but not too well. :-))

Kitos. 8/10

Thank you, Kitos. :slight_smile: