Economic growth or when is the earth going to get rid of us?

The human race has been constantly and systematically working on its own extinction. Here is why and how. There are currently about 8 billion people on this planet. Even if only half of them bought an SUV the size of Porsche Cayenne, a VW Tourag, a BMW X 6 or an Audi Q7, our planet’s resources would get depleted in a matter of days. That’s when the earth will finally get rid of us because it doesn’t need any human beings to exist. Think about it the next time you are worried that your country’s GDP isn’t growing fast enough.

4 Likes

And that’s not even taking into account the effect climate change will have in the very near future. I came up with this metric - what do you think?

“If paying twice as much for food as you do now would be a great burden on you, then climate change will have a huge effect on your life.”

I am in no way a climate change skeptic, but I am a skeptic on how it will personally affect me as a rich Westerner who does not live at a low elevation. For me I could pay two or three times as much for food, crank up my air conditioner, and even move to Canada if I need to, so it is tempting to think that climate change will not affect me directly. Unfortunately, when everyone thinks the same way, nothing gets done and nothing changes.

3 Likes

You are right TJ, we in the west tend to think that we climate change won’t have a direct impact on us.

However, what if the fires you experienced in California in 2018 now repeat every summer? What if the record temperatures the Australians have been experiencing since the summer of 2017 continue and will go up even further? What happens if western Europe experiences an even longer drought than the one in summer 2018?

As for the car, here is a great quote describing the detrimental effects of our western lifestyle: “Unlike the vacuum cleaner, the radio, or the bicycle, which retain their use value when everyone has one, the car, like a villa by the sea, is only desirable and useful insofar as the masses don’t have one. That is how in both conception and original purpose the car is a luxury good. And the essence of luxury is that it cannot be democratized.”

2 Likes

If the earth needs to get rid of all human being in the world, why should we bother about GDP is not growing?, Why should think of buying a VW Tourag, a BMW X 6 or an Audi Q7,?. Let our planet’s resources get depleted, that time, we will all like one in the world and disappear from the world. It is only my suggestion.

1 Like

I agree with you, we should take care about our environment otherwise, the Earth will protest, sooner or later. When it happens we would finally understand that our worries nowadays are nothing.

2 Likes

Here is an interesting headline that proves our urgently we need to take some action:
Russian islands declare emergency after mass invasion of polar bears

1 Like