During a meeting I heard the host/organizer saying a phrase similar to this,

During a meeting I heard the host/organizer saying more or less a phrase similar to this, “have a word in English with our English speakers”. He meant that now he is going to translate in English what he had just said in another language. Is 'have a word in English with our English speakers" correct? because I not 100% sure if I am quoting him exactly. thanks.

2 Likes

It depends on the rest of the sentence. If he says something like:
“Now I’d like to have a word with our English speakers”,
then it’s OK.

“Have a word with” is idiomatic. It means “talk to” or “speak to”.

I’d like to talk to our English speakers.

2 Likes

Does it have a slightly negative connotation or is it neuralgic?

1 Like

It can be negative, but not always. In Angelwings’ example it’s not negative. If the boss says they “want to have a word with you” you might be getting a reprimand, or even be getting fired. But then again you might not. It might just mean they want to talk to you.

Tone and body language can help with this. So can knowing the other person.

“Do you have a minute?” is also idiomatic, and has a similar meaning. It is not quite as ominous as “Can I have a word with you?”.

In both cases it implies that it will be fairly brief.

2 Likes

Hmmm.
So why are they saying this in English?
It would make sense to me if they said this in, say, French to French speaking participants, or replaced the word “English” with the word “French” and spoke to the English speakers, but telling the English speakers that you’d like to “have a word in English with our English speakers" seems strange.

2 Likes

I have also heard this:

• ‘Patrick, a word, please. In my dressing room!’ In the film ‘A Girl Can’t Always Have Everything’. The film belongs to ‘The Tales Of The Unexpected Collection.’
1 Like

I think Patrick is in trouble. He’s about to get his ass chewed out. ← That’s real English :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I think so too. But I can’t tell you the story, because that would be considered as plagiarism nowadays. Anyway, thank you for your reply.

1 Like