Dreams - integrated task - Baron

Hi, Kitos. Could you look at it? Thanks beforehand

In this set of materials the reading passage talks about Freud’s psychodynamic theory about dreaming, while the listening passage is devoted to the biochemical and physical attitude to dreaming.

According to the Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud dreams come from subconscious mind and wishes are origins of many dreams. For example, a student striving to take a difficult exam may dream about it or see a symbol associated with it like a hurdle in race. Or a forbidden wish may easily be expressed in dreams. Freud considered dreams as a way to disclose unconscious. In his opinion, dreaming has 2 levels: manifest content that is clear, and latent that is symbolic and concealed. For instance, the manifest content would be a hurdle in the race, while the latent would be borrowing book that means cheating.

According to the listening passage Alan Hobson and Robert McLeay worked out a distinct approach to the issue – the biochemical and physical one. This theory, called activation synthesis, is based on the data received from experiments on cats, because cats’ brain waives and muscle movements are close or similar to people’s. They think dreams are regulated by brain cells via emission of neurons. Brain activates during sleeping, but can not transform images to other organs and interpret them into dreams. For instance, in the sleeping state brain cells can not send signal “to run” to legs and a person dreams about chase. It is merely chemical response to activation of brain cells.

In a word, the theories presented in the reading and listening passages contradict each other.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from an arts class

Hi, Kitos. Could you look at it? Thanks beforehand

In this set of materials the reading passage talks about Freud’s psycho-dynamic theory about dreaming, while the listening passage is devoted to the biochemical and physical attitudeS to dreaming.

According to the “Interpretation of Dreams” by Sigmund Freud(,) dreams come from THE subconscious mind and wishes are THE origins of many dreams. For example, a student striving to take a difficult exam may dream about it(,) or see a symbol associated with it(,) like a hurdle in race. Or a forbidden wish may easily be expressed in dreams. Freud considered dreams as a way to /disclose/REVEAL/ OUR unconscious INTENTIONS. In his opinion, dreaming has TWO levels: manifest content that is clear, and latent CONTENT that is symbolic and concealed. For instance, the manifest content would be a hurdle in the race, while the latent would be borrowing A book(.) //that means cheating.???//

According to the listening passage Alan Hobson and Robert McLeay worked out a distinct approach to the issueS – the biochemical and physical oneS. This theory, called “Activation synthesis”, is based on the data received from experiments DONE on cats, because cats’ brain WAVES and muscle movements are close or similar to people’s. HUMANS(.)They think dreams are regulated by brain cells via THE emission of neurons. THE brain activates DREAMS during sleeping, but (cannot) transform images to other organs and interpret them into dreams. For instance, in the sleeping state brain cells can not send A signal “to run” to legs and a person dreams about BEING chaseD. It is merely A chemical response to activation of OUR brain cells.

In a word, the theories presented in the reading and listening passages contradict each other.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good morning Remula. Not bad, but not good.

Kitos. 7.5/10

Good morning, Kitos :slight_smile: Thanks for your comments, but I want to carify following issues:

Cheating means that a student wants to cheat at the exam and dreams it as borrowing a book.

It’s issue - dreaming, not issues. And, attitude is one - biochecmical and physical. May be I should write it in this way biochemical-physical? It encompasses biochemical and physical peculiarities of human body.

bye

Yes Remula, you know what you mean, but I don’t, nor do the other readers.

It’s not me, it’s Baron.

So, how should I write it biochemical-physical attitude?

best regards

I should write it in this way, biochemical-physical … YES.