Dorm vs Apartment

Students are at University often have a choice of place to live. They may choose to live in university dormitories, or they may choose to live in apartments on the community. Compare the advantages of living in university housing with the advantages of living in an apartment in the community. Where would you prefer to live? Give reasons.

Is a college dorm the right living arrangement for you? Or would you prefer renting an off-campus student apartment? Of course, part of any college student’s decision is a financial one. Dorms are considered to be cheaper accommodation than apartments. Apart from the financial considerations, there are other factors to analyze.

When you love in a dorm, it is hard to feel lonely. There is always someone hanging in the hallway looking for a friendly conversation. College campuses can be big and intimidating, so living in a dorm is an easy opportunity to meet new people. Living in a dorm is much easier than living in a apartment – there are practically no monthly bills and much less place to clean! Sharing a room with a friend can be both fun and challenging. Thus dorm life is often called a crash course of impersonal skills.

Renting apartment gives a student much privacy. Constant companionship can be annoying and distracting. Students need a quiet place to study. Living in a flat also enables a student to shop and cook various food to his taste. Buying a meal plan would save a lot of money, but not always is the cafeteria food good and nutritious. When a student rents an apartment he is not required to leave for breaks and summer as dorm students are. A student plans and organizes his life not depending on any outer authorities.

If I were given a chance to choose between living in a dorm and rending an apartment- I would definitely decide for the latter. My privacy and convenience play a very important role in my life and education.

P.S. Thank you, Kitos, for correcting and rating it!!!

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a professor and his student

Students are at University often have a choice of place to live. They may choose to live in university dormitories, or they may choose to live in apartments IN the community. Compare the advantages of living in university housing with the advantages of living in an apartment in the community. Where would you prefer to live? Give reasons.

Is a college dorm the right living arrangement for you? Or would you prefer renting an off-campus student apartment? Of course, part of any college student’s decision is a financial one. Dorms are considered to be cheaper accommodation than apartments. Apart from the financial considerations, there are other factors to analyze.

When you LIVE in a dorm, it is hard to feel lonely. There is always someone hanging in the hallway looking for a friendly conversation. College campuses can be big and intimidating, so living in a dorm is an easy opportunity to meet new people. Living in a dorm is much easier than living in aN apartment – there are practically no monthly bills and much less place to clean! Sharing a room with a friend can be both fun and challenging. Thus dorm life is often called a crash course of impersonal skills.

Renting AN apartment gives a student MORE privacy(,) ALTHOUGH constant companionship can be annoying and distracting. Students need a quiet place to study. Living in a flat also enables a student to shop and cook various food to his taste. Buying a meal plan would save a lot of money, but not always is the cafeteria food good and nutritious. When a student rents an apartment he is not required to leave for breaks and summer as dorm students are. A student plans and organizes his life not depending on any outer authorities.

If I were given a chance to choose between living in a dorm and rending an apartment- I would definitely decide for the latter. My privacy and convenience play a very important role in my life and education.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good morning Iryshka. A nice sensible essay.

Kitos. 8/10

Good day, Kitos! Your help is appreciated a lot! Are there any essays on this forum, that were scored 10/10? Just wondering:)

Oh, yes indeed. Milily, Hardworker, Lubov. Ailana … but these girls are damned GOOD.
You too can be good. Stick around! :-))

how is it that all 10/10 are girls. WOW …lolz

Don’t all we intelligent guys know that the female of the species is far more intelligent than the male?

Yeah:) I will surely look through those 10/10 essays:) And hope to make them a company soon;) Thanks, Kitos! By the way, as you live in Essen, sprichst du auch Deutsch?