Don't you dare even say it

Woman: We’re only hitting the ball a short distance in here. So, I suggest using one of these.

Man: Oh, one of these? You suggest using one of these?

Woman: Yes.

Man: Playing golf is easy for robots.

Woman: Well, it’s not easy for people. That’s why I have to keep practicing.

Man: Well, how do you play it?

Woman: Well, you hit the ball with the racket. …
Don’t you dare even say it, playing tennis is easy for robots, I know. But I just play for fun. You should go and play with the pros.

Man: Who are the pros?

Woman: The professionals. The people who play for a living. As full-time job.

What does “Don’t you dare even say it” mean here?

Does it mean “There is no need to say it again”?

Thank you

1 Like

Don’t you dare even say it, because I don’t won’t to hear it! You’re always saying things about how robots are better than people.”

It’s not that he doesn’t need to repeat what he just said, but that he’s always saying things like this to her.

2 Likes

Do you know the idiom rubbing it in?

From the dictionary :
" If someone rubs it in, they make you feel jealous by repeatedly telling you about something good that they own or a success of theirs"

Humans have to work hard to learn things like golf or tennis. It’s easy for the robot to learn. She already knows that. She doesn’t want him to rub it in. So she tries to stop him before he says it.

Usually this is just friendly banter. But sometimes it really is annoying to the person and they seriously don’t want to hear it. It can make a person feel bad when they work so hard for something, but someone else does it so easily.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Arinker :rose:

Very nice explanation.

1 Like

Thank you so much, NearlyNapping :rose:

Very nice explanation.

1 Like