Doctor Bloom - try repeating this one minute segment

Still considered one of the most radical works of fiction of the 20th Century, James Joyce’s Ulysses ushered in the era of the modern novel
Try repeating this one minute segment. - and you’re doing well

youtube.com/watch?v=LHdlmucVUGQ

Hello Ambivalent. Lurker,

Thank you for posting the video here.
However, though I have listened to the video several times, but I do not understand what it was about. It is really bad.

Dr Leopold Bloom is thought to be terminally ill, but his symptoms may probably be attributed to his lack of sexual experience. This may be due to his cultural heritage as well as his (resulting) uncontrollable voyeurism.

Hehe!! - Join the club!!

Now I know why I have only ever read parts of it at a time, :slight_smile:

What accent does the lady in this video have? Sounds Irish to me.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: A prospective tenant has some questions about an apartment[YSaerTTEW443543]

I’d say it’s an educated Ulster woman trying to sound RP.

Maybe the RP element was the reason Jamie posted the clip ;-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Two Business executives discuss profit strategies[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi all,

I’ll give it a try, though I doubt it will be any good, lol.

Doctor Bloom is bisexually abnormal. He has recently escaped from Dr. Eustis’s private asylum for demented gentlemen. Born out of wedlock hereditary epilepsy is present, the consequence of unbridled lust. Traces of elephantiasis have been discovered among his ascendants. There are marked symptoms of chronic exhibitionism. Ambidexterity is also latent. He is prematurely bald from self-abuse, perversely idealistic in consequence, a reformed rake, and has metal teeth! In consequence of a family complex he has temporarily lost his memory. And I believe him to be more sinned against than sinning. I have made a prevaginal examination and after application of the acid test to 5427 anal, axillary, pectoral and pubic hairs, I declare him to be virgo intacta!

What an amazing character . . .

Claudia

Well done Claudia
That Woman sounds English to me Torsten - Could be wrong though!
Heres someone likes it!
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aUTgH9Lu4

Thank you. I couldn’t get the smooth tone of voice that the original speaker has, and I couldn’t hide my German accent, lol. Oh, well. It was a nice challenge.

Claudia

You done very well Claudia and I don’t think its fair to compare you with the native speaking original…

However I think we could compare yours with Torstens after he has had his go. :slight_smile:

Hmmm? When is Torsten having a go at this Claudia?
He has had enough time now - don’t you think? :slight_smile:

I can think of two reasons why Torsten hasn’t given it a try yet: Either he hasn’t seen your request or he doesn’t want to do it. If he doesn’t want to do it, we’ll just have to accept that. Not everyone is as crazy as I am, lol.

Claudia

[b]Ulysses club
Ulysses International

Canada
New Zealand
South Africa
Norway
United Kingdom
Ulysses UK Forum
Germany[/b]
For enquiries relating to international clubs -
email:international@ulyssesclub.org

ULYSSES INTERNATIONAL

European get together

Here’s a perfect reason to head for Europe this year - the Ulysses Club Germany, together with assistance from the Ulysses Club Norway and the Ulysses Club United Kingdom will be hosting a get together for members over there from 21- 24 May 2010, in Sankt Wendel in Germany. If you’d like more information, please contact Gernot Minig by email on gminig@hotmail.com. Gernot hopes that some more Ulysseans who happen to be in Europe might come to visit. The Preliminary schedule is - Friday 21 May - Arrival of our guests in Winterbach near Sankt Wendel / 7 p.m. BBQ - local specialities – in or near our club house. Saturday 22 May - 10 a.m. Day trip to the Mosel area / 9 p.m. Live music with “The Ipcress” – music from the days when we were young. Sunday 23 May - 10 a.m. Day trip to the Vosges mountain range in France / 8 p.m. relaxed get-together in our club house. Monday 24 May - Departure of our guests.
ulyssesclub.org/club_info/in … ational%20