Do you think that men and women would respond differently toward critical situations or act differently in decision-making?

In one of her essays entitled “Gender in the Classroom,” Deborah Tannen, a linguist at Georgetown University, argues that boys and girls respond differently to their studies and their classroom interactions vary with different verbal tactics. Do you agree with her or not? To put her argument in a social context, do you think that men and women would respond differently toward critical situations or act differently in decision-making? Write a 300-word essay to state your opinion about this gender issue and be sure to use examples to illustrate your argument.

I agree with her. When women face a decision, they tend to begin by collecting data. They do this by asking for others’ thoughts on a question. When men hear these questions, they think they are being asked for a plan of action. If the woman then thinks further about other factors, it will confuse the man.

Here’s an example. Ted and Ann wanted to plan their summer vacation. Ted began the conversation. “Well, this summer’s planning will be easy. I’d love to plan a fishing trip with the boys.” Ann responded affectionately, “Yes, I know you love fishing, but with my parents living in New England and us in Colorado, we hardly get to see them. I think we need to consider more about this.” “Great!” Ted exclaimed. “Let’s go fishing for a week off the coast of Maine. That’s a perfect plan. Fishing for me and the boys; grandparent visits for you. What’s for dinner?” Ann groaned. “Why can’t we communicate? This marriage is so frustrating!” she thought to herself, feeling irritated at Ted.

Another case is that Judy and Ken were discussing which school should Tom, their son, go to. “How do you think about Tom’s school? I mean which one do you like?” Judy said. “I think Philip High School is a good choice. It is not only near home but also affordable.” Ken responded fast. “What! What you only care about is just money! I can not believe it.” Judy shouted.

For women, a quickly dash to solutions is frustrating. She’s just getting started and he’s already done. Men love to generate solutions. Women enjoy sharing the exploration of relevant concerns.

3 Likes

Hi, I thought this prompt was pretty tricky. I enjoyed your essay, but I wonder if it is too specific. That said, it is hard to write a more general essay about the differences between men and women’s decision-making in only 300 words, so maybe it is better to focus on a specific aspect. Perhaps you can state that there are many differences, but you will focus on this one particular aspect. Your examples were interesting and realistic, but your second one didn’t seem to quite fit your thesis. Here are some specific comments:

3 Likes

Thank you very much.

1 Like