Do you read a newspaper?

Hello Torsten,

Yes, I read regularly newspapers. Today the Hungarian TV spoke about Yulia Tymoshenko’s weakened state of health I read some articles about her with great sympathy and anxiety.
She believes only unity of the democratic forces in Ukraine and in Hungary also this would be the only solution against our autocrat government.
Here one:
tymoshenko.ua/en/article/68a3oozo

Respect:
Kati Svaby

One of the comments:
Svetlana Petrova | Jan 23, 2012, 10:35 am
appeal to everybody! Please, sign the petition in defence of unjustly condemned Yulia Tymoshenko. She is jailed, she is in a bad way, she doesn’t receive any medical aid. At the same time she is a prominent political leader and the last hope for the better future of Ukraine. Please, spread this information as widely as possible. URL:http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-the-un-and-eu-release-yulia-tymoshenko-now.

First, English speakers will have to figure out how the heck to pronounce the name “Kyiv”! Do they want us to pronounce it [kay yɪv]? With that unnatural spelling, that’s what many people will think. And if it’s supposed to be pronounced the same as we’re already pronouncing it, they why bother changing the spelling?

English already has a word for Kiev, and there’s no need for English speakers to be forced to speak Ukrainian. You don’t see the Germans running around expecting us to change “Munich” to “München”!

I most gently, humbly, and respectfully agree with Jamie.

Maybe the sly Ukrainians are trying to confuse you, Jamie and James :wink:

You’ll probably like this:

But most major media outlets in the West have stuck with Kiev, perhaps because it is better known, perhaps because they don’t want foreign governments dictating English spelling, or maybe because they’re worried that Kyiv looks like a typo. A few days ago, some colleagues at CBC-TV challenged CBC.ca’s use of Kyiv. The “yi” stood out, as stories about alleged election fraud in Ukraine led newscasts and plastered the front pages of countless websites and newspapers.

Despite a common misconception, television writers do need to worry about spelling — at least the spelling of the words superimposed over pictures on the screen. And it turns out that our senior television journalists prefer the much more familiar version Kiev.

So, relax. Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Democracy prevails ;-)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Have they finished painting the office yet?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Torsten,

As life changes the name of capitals, countries change also and we learn slowly their new names.

Who knows – except the Hungarian – that Pannonia was the name of Hungary in the Roman Empire.
More people know that Iran name’s was Persia. Who knows Bangladesh in which countries it was situated before 1947.

Or who knows that till 1849 –when the first bridge had been finished - Hungary’s capital was Pest. And when the bridge spanned the Danube and connected the two towns (Buda and Pest) since Hungary’s capital is Budapest.
You write that capital of Ukraine Kiyw. Soon the journalists will learn it and after the whole world.
It is only question of time.

Regards:
Kati Svaby

Hello Everybody,

This is a correction.

Do you know what a short-circuit means in the brain? When you had a lapse or your memory failed you. This happened to me. In my whole life I knew, more over I taught that before the construction of the first bridge on the Danube, the capital of Hungary was BUDA and not Pest. The Royal Castle was in Buda and the king or regency reside there.The castle is till today there but now a museum. Pest was a town with lot of German residents, German theatres etc.

But this sentence is true:
And when the bridge spanned the Danube and connected the two towns (Buda and Pest) since Hungary’s capital is Budapest.

I am sorry for my mistake.

Kati Svaby

Kati Svaby[/b]

The British government also uses ‘Kyiv’: fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv … bassy-kyiv

And so does the British Council: britishcouncil.org/ukraine-c … s-kyiv.htm

And the US government: ukraine.usembassy.gov/[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Who is taking Ms. Pillette to city hall this week?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

It’s interesting that you berate those who use ‘Kiev’, but you wrote ‘Koran’ rather than ‘Qu’ran’ in one of your recent messages.
It seems to me that this is a similar issue and that perhaps the two versions should be generally acceptaed, at least for now.

Hi Bev,

What exactly gave you the idea that I’m berating you? I’m just pointing that there are two spellings – Kiev and Kyiv. Maybe you and I have different definitions of the word ‘berate’ ;-).[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Are you the new accountant from the head office?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hmmm, I think it was message #17 that gave me the ideo, though upon re-reading it, I now see that what I thought were your own remarks were actually a quote from elsewhere, sorry.

In many languages, city and country names are spelled differently than the original native names. Warsaw in English is Warschau in German. The native name is Warszawa. The native German München is Munich in English. The ü is not available in many other languages. How can we expect people of other countries to spell Munich as München and Kiev as Kyiv just because it’s the original, native spelling? Often, such names are too strange and too difficult (for non-natives) and do not “fit” into a language . . . if that makes any sense, lol.

Claudia

Hello Claudia,

Most times I agree with you. Excuse me but now not.
Now I agreed with your first sentence:
"In many languages, city and country names are spelled differently than the original native names. "
I think here Torsten spoke about another thing. Those people understand this better who couldn’t live in independence. To regain the possession of independence goes together lot of change. The name of towns, streets, squares etc. had been changed or will be changed. In our country this happened also.

Ukraine has an own language but they couldn’t use it. The children went to Russian schools. As Ukraine our neighbour country I know some Ukrainians.

If Ukraine has an own language the question is whether the name of its capital will be the Russian Kiev or Ukrainian Kiyv.( If it is difficult to pronounce for foreigner people they say kai-iv etc. don’t they?)

Have a good week-end:
Kati

Wales has its own language. For many years around the turn of the 20th Century and beyond, it was banned from use in schools and English had to be spoken.

Now most Welsh placenames have different English equivalents. People are generally welcome to use either.

I see your point, Kati, and I really understand that. I think Ukrainians should refer to their cities and towns in their own tongue; they definitely should speak Ukrainian and have it as their official language. No doubt about it!

Unfortunately, for non-Ukrainians, the Russian Kiev is much more easy to write and memorize than the Ukrainian Kyiv. People will spell it Kiyv, Kyvi, Kyyv, Kivy, Kiwi . . . because it just doesn’t fit into the structure of their own language. I have yet to receive mail where my last name is spelled correctly. I read Kakulka, Kuklka, Kulka, Kukulla and Kulla on the envelopes, but not a single correct Kukulka. To me, my last name is as easy to remember as to an Ukrainian “Kyiv”. So, if Google says: "Showing results for Kiev instead of your typed Kyiv, or when the National Enquirer writes to its readers that John Travolta traveled with his spaceship to Nibiru but had to make a stopover in Kiev because of technical difficulties, then bless their little, ignorant hearts, for they believe in aliens!

If it were up to me, I’d spell it Kiäff. :wink:

You too! :slight_smile:

Claudia

Hello Bez,

Can I ask you how old is the democracy in the U.K ?
Here in Europe there is a saying in the countries where after the WW II the democracy came to an end or after 1990 began to born. In these countries say:
“For create at one stroke a perfect democracy it needs same regular maintenance as for create the English good lawn.”- I tried to translate.

What you wrote about Wales that it was banned their own language in schools till the turn of the 20th Century. I believe of course but I am shocked to hear that. I think we agree in that it can’t repeat itself anywhere.

In more detail:
Participation and Democracy East and West: Comparisons and … - A Goo
“A developed civil society, then, is not as such conducive to democracy. … of democracy sees stable democracy in analogy to a good English lawn”
books.google.hu/books?id=AUNWA2- … Ga1Dwe4&hl

Regards:
Kati Svaby

Hello Claudia,

The important that you agree with me what could mean the independence for a country!
For me it is a miracle that after lot of foreigner domination they can retain their language.

The rest is of no importance.

Take care:
Kati

I do, It is like addiction. Like everyone else in my youth I found newspaper really boring, but sometimes with morning coffe I throw a few looks at them. Day after day, and now it’s a habit.
Newspaper can be educational, but on the other hand it is just waste of the time…

About the censorship an interesting note:

“But even religious materials have been subject to censorship. For example, various scriptures have been banned (and sometimes burned at several points in history). The Bible, and other religious scriptures have all been subjected to censorship and have been banned by various governments. Similarly, books based on the scriptures have also been banned, such as Leo Tolstoy’s The Kingdom of God Is Within You, which was banned in the Russian Empire for being anti-establishment.

I didn’ t read this book unfortunatly, but I agree with this title. So i will read it soon.

Kati Svaby

About The Kingdom of God is within you.

[edit]Reasoning

The title of the book is taken from Luke 17:21. In the book Tolstoy speaks of the principle of non-violent resistance when confronted by violence, as taught by Jesus (see Christian pacifism). Tolstoy sought to separate Orthodox Russian Christianity (which was merged with the state) from what he believed was the true gospel of Jesus Christ specifically the Sermon on the Mount.
Tolstoy takes the viewpoint that all governments who wage war are an affront to Christian principles. When Christ says to turn the other cheek, Tolstoy asserts that he means simply that and rejects the interpretations of Roman and medieval scholars who attempted to limit its scope, writing:
“How can you kill people, when it is written in God’s commandment: ‘Thou shalt not murder’?”
Tolstoy presented excerpts from magazines and newspapers relating various personal experiences, and gave keen insight into the history of non-resistance as being professed by a minority of believers from the very foundation of Christianity. In particular, he confronts those who argue that such a change to a non-violent society would be disastrous with the following recourse:
“That this social order with its pauperism, famines, prisons, gallows, armies, and wars is necessary to society; that still greater disaster would ensue if this organization were destroyed; all this is said only by those who profit by this organization, while those who suffer from it – and they are ten times as numerous – think and say quite the contrary.”
Tolstoy recounted challenges by people of all classes that his views on non-resistance were wrong, but argued that no matter how the challengers tried to attack the doctrine, its essence could not be overcome. He advocated non-violence as a solution to nationalist woes and as a means for seeing the hypocrisy of the church. In reading Jesus’ words in the Gospels, Tolstoy notes that the modern church is a heretical creation:
“Nowhere nor in anything, except in the assertion of the Church, can we find that God or Christ founded anything like what churchmen understand by the Church.”

In 1846, a parliamentary report was commissioned on the role of Welsh in education. One of the problems was that the report was produced by three English barristers who didn’t speak a word of Welsh.

The report was published in 1847 and almost caused a riot (particularly the inclusion of passages in which the commissioners went beyond what they should have been reporting on and made disparaging remarks about the morals of the Welsh.)

Predictably, given the views of the writers, the report found the provision of education in Wales to be extremely poor. The commissioners saw the Welsh language as a drawback and noted that the moral and material condition of the people would only improve with the introduction of English.

The speaking of Welsh in schools wasn’t totally prevented by law, but neither was it given any government support or recognition. Welsh was not an institutionalised or official language, and Welsh simply wasn’t considered a suitable medium for education during the Victorian heyday of the British Empire.
In this era, convention had practically the same force as law. English was deemed by convention, and with popular support, to be the only appropriate medium for learning.

From the BBC programme “A History of the World”
In order to improve pupils’ knowledge of the English language, the Welsh education system of the late 19th century employed the ‘Welsh Not’ or ‘Welsh Stick’ as a method of discouraging children from speaking in their native tongue. This small piece of wood was given in turn to individuals overheard talking Welsh, and whoever was wearing it by the end of the week was often severely punished.

Two Welsh Not signs: