Do you ever use the adverb 'abed'?

So, popular would you say is the adverb ‘abed’? How would you use it in a sentence? Do you find the following example natural?

Chad lay abed, thinking and worrying late into the night about his impending final. What about the rest of the sentences here:

2 Likes

No, never, though I have read it at some point.
It makes me think of Samuel Pepys, but his famous phrase was “And so to bed.” Perhaps there is a quote from Queen Victoria’s days.
I note that Merriam-Webster gives an earliest use, but no recent examples.

Your example is quite natural and understandable, given that you are using “abed”. One strangeness, though, is that you use a modern nickname with an old word. I doubt that the two ever co-existed.

Why is this in an SAT prep?
My only guess is that they want to see if the student can determine the meaning of a word that they probably don’t know.

1 Like

As for the four examples in the link:
1 and 3 are fine.
2 looks like it’s a geometry problem.
4 doesn’t use “abed”, but uses “in bed” which is much more natural.

1 Like

I haven’t used it yet.
But it is logically correct like ‘atop’, ‘astray’, ‘awhile’, ‘afar’ etc.

1 Like

I’ve never used it. It’s a poetic way of saying “in bed”. In modern English it would never sound natural to me. I don’t even know if it was used in the past other than poetically.

This is probably referring to diagramming sentences. My understanding is that they use different styles of diagrams than they did in the past. They have more of a vertical orientation than in the past.

1 Like

This is actually a very interesting question that I have often asked myself. The following list contains words that you need to learn for the vocabulary questions on the SAT. As a native English speaker, how many of these do you know and which of them do you actually use?

I was just looking at some of the vocabulary words yesterday. There is a high percentage that I either don’t know, or I don’t know well enough to confidently use them in a sentence.

Very often I will completely understand a word when it’s used by someone else, but I would not feel comfortable using it myself. I suspect this is the reason why people are expected to know all these words. Even if you don’t use them yourself, there is a high likelihood of running into them when used by others.

1 Like

Of the first 30 words on the SAT list, I had to look up 2, so my reading vocabulary would be 28.
I think that there are about 17 that I would use in the proper circumstances, so that would be my writing vocabulary.

1 Like