Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Teachers should be paid according to how much their students learn. TOEFL writing topic

Can someone please check and score my essay. Thanks in advance.

The issue of whether teachers should be paid based on how much their students learn has been a debatable topic for many years. In my opinion, teachers should not be paid according to how much their pupils learn. I will try to demonstrate my point in the following paragraphs.

For starters, each student has his own pace. Some students may understand a new topic in one class while others may need more assistance. My classmate, Sarah is deaf and she has trouble understanding lectures whereas I understand everything in class. Does that mean that my teacher should be paid more because I learn more or less because Sarah gains inadequate knowledge? No, it is not possible and hence it is not justifiable for teachers to be paid according to the knowledge gained by their pupils.

Furthermore, it is difficult to quantify knowledge and equally grueling to quantify how much a student learns from a teacher. Some students are curious, they have a thirst for knowledge and they try to quench it by taking myriad classes or doing more research. While teachers do impart knowledge to their pupils, some pupils are bright and may strive to work harder with teachers. I have a friend who loves mathematics. He took extra classes with our mathematics teacher and decided to compete in the Mathematics Olympiad. For that he had to learn new equations and topics and he got full backup from his teacher. Just because his teacher helped him learn more, it does not mean that a teacher should get more money. This is an altruistic act and should not be changed into selfishness by introducing money.

Finally, we should think about ethical principles. What if you are a teacher? Would you charge more/less if your student learnt more/less? A students’ financial condition should also be considered. If a student came from an underprivileged family, it would not be fair to charge him more just because he learnt more from you. His family might make ends meet and work hard to give him an education, hence as a teacher it would be morally wrong to take advantage from your pupil.

To sum it up, teachers should not be paid based on what their students learn because it is unethical, difficult to implement as each student has his own pace of learning and because knowledge is infinite.

(393 words)

2 Likes