Do we need 'do' or 'does' in these sentences?

Hi Guys,
Everybody DOES
Every one of them DOES
All the people DO (?)
Most people DO (?)
Where the most of scientic COME from (?)

What I’d like to know is these sentences are right above.
Thanks
Spencer

Hi Spencer!
Long time no see! How’s it going? :smiley:

Yes, your sentences are right, but I’d change the last one a little:
Where DO the most scientists come from?

Amy

Hi Amy,
How are you?
I’m OK, but I have no time, I work too much.
I miss writing to you guys.
Hey, Amy. what if I meant
“That’s the place where the most scientic come from?”
Is that correct?
Spencer

Hi Spencer

First a question: You wrote “scientic”. As far as I know, that isn’t a word. :shock: In my first post, I assumed you meant “scientists”. Is that correct?

If so, the verb has to agree with the plural word “scientists” in the question (see my first post).

If you’re thinking of the word “scientific”, that word is an adjective and needs a noun:

• scientific knowledge (singular)
  • scientific breakthroughs (plural)

Or do you mean “science”? (singular)

Here are two new options:

That’s the place where the most science comes from.

That’s the place where the most scientists come from.

Amy

Hi Amy,

I’m not really happy with this sentence:

To me it seems unfinished as if you should add something like the most scientists in the world/who are successful or whatever. I would go for simply most scientists.

Please put my troubled mind at ease.

Alan

Hi Spence!

Amy already wellcame you in good old Red Indian way! :wink: I myself join to the greeting!

What do you do as occupation? However, it seems to be a hard job!

Like talking to you soon!

Michael

Hi Alan

Yes, I thought of that, too. I hope that eases your troubled mind a bit. :lol:

I left the word “the” in the sentence simply to minimize the changes in the sentence and also as a result of the following logic:

Most scientists” in the sense of “the majority” or “a very large proportion” of all scientists.
The most scientists” in the sense of “the highest number of” scientists from any one place, but not necessarily the majority of all scientists.

My first reaction was, in fact, to also remove the word “the”.
But I ended up leaving the word “the” in the sentence. I hope I’ve eased your troubled mind at least a little. :smiley:

Amy

Hi Amy,
you’re right, I was thinking of scientists when I wrote scientic, but considering my writing skills it’s not a big missdialling at all. :slight_smile:
Thanks for pointing at it though, but that’s what bloodsisters there for, you know. :slight_smile:
By the way, I’m a bit dissapointed in you, 'cause you let me go at first, didn’t you?
Alan, I wanted to express “the highest number” with the “the”. Would that still make you feel bad?
I mean you still feel like something is needed there?
Can’t I just say: “where the most scientists come from” without any addition?
Or you only have problem with the question like:
“where do the most scientists come from?”
I mean in my language if you don’t add “on Earth” it’s kind of obvious, so it’s still all right, but in English you know the rules, so I believe every words you say. :slight_smile:

Michael, my friend,
I’m really happy for your conserning about me.
You a real ally, noone can wish for a better one.
I’m a receptionist, and security guard in a hotel, (two in one for one salary :slight_smile: ) and I work too many hous just lately.
When I get home finally, I like to spend some time with my wife, and little daughter, so I rather not turn on the computer, 'cause if I do then I can’t be pulled away for hours, I stick on it, but I guess you all know what I’m talking about.
It’s gonna change soon, you’ll hate me for being all over this forum, trust me.
See you all sistahs,and bros, eventhough I don’t write that much, I always keep one eye on you :slight_smile:
Spencer

Well, I didn’t really let you go entirely, Spencer. :lol: In my first post, I removed the word “of” and also changed the spelling in that sentence. :wink:

And, just to make sure I don’t disappoint you again, please note the spelling of “disappointed”. :lol:

I hope you understood what Alan wrote and also what I wrote.
There is a difference between “the most” and “most”. And which one you use would depend on what exactly you want to say and the context. Unfortunately, your sentence had no other context.
By the way, it’s also possible say “Most of the scientists”.

What you cannot say is “the most of scientists”.

See ya :smiley:
Amy

Isn’t all this yet another proof that English is ‘tough stuff’?

The following examples are only meant as an illustration of what you’ve all said (just wanted to add my two-penny worth, I guess) :roll: :

That country has the most scientists in the world.

But:

Most scientists in the world don’t work with mice.

So much for illusions!

Hi Spencer!

Have you forgotten, we are bound by a contract! :shock:

Hey, don?t let your top dog know that you are an old proficient English speaker. I dread he will let you go home never again. :wink:

Enjoy your family as often as you can. It?s a good feeling to know that you are watching us. 8)

Michael

Thanks Guys, I got it , at least the most of it. :slight_smile:
Michael, top dog?
You mean like a wizard?
If you meant chief, I’m affraid he knows I speak a bit of English, otherwise I couldn’t work there.
It’s not a hotel acually ,it’s a kind of EU thing for only foreigners. That’s why I make this much of money 8)
Shopping’s lost all the excitement since everything’s too cheap to me. :slight_smile:
I gotta go play some golf with Bill Gates.
sorry guys
Hold on Billy boy,I’m coming
Spencer

…Nice shot, Billy-O, just like I taught ya…