- I was dismayed/despaired by/at his indifference.
- Don’t despair/dismay, help is on the way!
- Her choice of career dismayed/despaired her parents.
Please correct the above.
I was dismayed by his indifference.
I despaired at his indifference.
Her choice of career dismayed her parents.
Her parents despaired at her choice of career.
Don’t despair/dismay, help is on the way!
- The news of her child’s illness distressed the mother.
- The news of her child’s illness dismayed the mother.
Are they OK?
Does #1 mean #2?
distressed - made her upset
dismayed - made her unhappy.