Discourse markers

Hi everybody,
I’m a bit confused about the differences between contrasting discourse markers such as although, though, whereas, in spite of, despite of, in contrast, on the contrary, however ,etc.
Could you please explain them with examples.
Thanks
Fariba

Hi Fariba,

You’ve asked a very wide-ranging question.

One thing I will tell you right now is that it is not possible to use ‘despite of’ (i.e. you cannot use ‘of’ after ‘despite’). The word ‘despite’ means the same thing as ‘in spite of’.

I would suggest that you do a bit of legwork of your own first. Check each of the words/phrases in a dictionary. You can find lots of different dictionaries here.
A good dictionary to use is the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. In it you’ll find not only definitions, but also examples of usage:
dictionary.cambridge.org/diction … /despite_1

After you’ve checked dictionary definitions and examples, then come back to this thread with more specific questions. OR try writing some sentences of your own and then posting them here for comment.
[color=darkblue]

[size=75]“Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed.” ~ Winston Churchill[/size]

Dear ESL-Expert,
Thank you very much for your explanation, I will post my specific problems concerning contrast discourse markers very soon.
Fariba

Hi everybody,
Could you please help me which option is correct in the following test and why.

Tickets will not be redeemable for cash at any time, … will they be replaced if lost or stolen.

a) but
b) though
c) only
d) nor

The only possible answer there is ‘nor’. Personally I’d prefer ‘neither’.

Thanks Bees.
Fariba

Beeesneees,
Can I replace “redeemable” by “refundable” as done below:
“Tickets will not be refundable at any time, nor will they be replaced if lost or stolen.”

You would use ‘refunded’ there, rather than ‘refundable’.

Tickets are not refundable…
Tickets will not be refunded…

Through they will be replaced if lost or stolen but tickets will not be redeemable for cash at any time.
Is this sentence correct?

You would need to make slight changes:
Though (not ‘through’) they will be replaced if lost or stolen, (‘but’ is not appropriate in a sentence that begins with ‘though’) tickets will not be redeemable/redeemed for cash at any time.

I’d still prefer ‘redeemed’ there.

Tickets will not be redeemable for cash at any time, nor will they be replaced if lost or stolen.
If I write bold part separately then it looks like a question. But is it working as a question here?

No, the reason for the inverted order is because of the not/nor structure, not because it is a question.