Direct/indirect phrases

1 Direct: You’ll never persuade the staff.
Indirect: There could be a problem with the staff. / There could be a problem persuading the staff.

2 Direct: I have to reject that out of hand.
Indirect: This needs serious consideration. / That needs…

3 Direct: My feeling is that we sack them both.
Indirect: I believe they should consider their positions. / I believe we should… / Perhaps their positions should be reconsidered.

4 Direct: You’ll never get away with that.
Indirect: You’ll find that difficult to pull off. / That may be difficult to implement.

5 Direct: Changing tactics now will be a disaster.
Indirect: I’m not really in favour of changing horses mid-stream. / It might be better to stick to the current program.

6 Direct: You must be joking!
Indirect: I get the feeling you’re pulling my leg. / Is that a serious suggestion?

7 Direct: I demand total loyalty.
Indirect: I put great value on loyalty. / It’s important to be able to count on everyone here.

8 Direct: I think it’s a complete waste of time.
Indirect: I’m doubtful about its use. / …usefulness; …utility / Is that really useful?

9 Direct: Get to the point.
Indirect; Let’s move on then. / Could you be more specific?

10 Direct: We’re getting nowhere.
Indirect: Where do we go from here? / Which direction should this be taken now?

11 Direct: Turn their offer down point blank.
Indirect : Suggest that they reconsider their offer /… think over their offer.

12 Direct: The situation is hopeless.
Indirect: Things are not looking good. / The situation / it does not look promising at the moment.

13 Direct: I can see nothing but problems.
Indirect: The future looks somewhat bleak. / There may be some problems coming up / … in the offing.

14 Direct: If we don’t do something soon, we’ve had it.
Indirect: We must act quickly. / Something needs to be done, and soon.

15 Direct: That’s utter rubbish.
Indirect: Run that past me again. / Could you explain that again more clearly?

16 Direct: Make your mind up.
Indirect: Let me know your decision. / Your decision is important here.

17 Direct: I can’t take any more of this.
Indirect: Perhaps we should take a break. / How about a coffee break? / Shall we save this for tomorrow morning?

18 Direct: Is that all you can say?
Indirect: Any other thoughts?

19 Direct: That won’t work.
Indirect: Perhaps we should take a closer look.

20 Direct: We’ve been discussing this far too long.
Indirect: I think we’re overrunning a bit. / Maybe we could put this on the back burner for a while / Perhaps we should move along now, and get back to this [problem] later.

I knew all that:)

Really? And how often do you use this type of phrases? Having knowledge is one thing, applying your knowledge is something else.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Methods of transportation[YSaerTTEW443543]

Of course I use them.I did that daily at school, and now I use them,because they are into my vocabulary.

That’s great to hear. Could you please give us an example that shows how you used indirect phrases at school? What about your classmates and teachers, did they use the same phrases like you? Also, what your current situation, are you still using those phrases? I take it you have graduated from school?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Old vehicles[YSaerTTEW443543]

I used it in exercises.My classmates did that,too…The teachers taught us.I am from Romania, but my friends and I speak English when we meet.That’s when we use that indirect phrases.On the other hand, I teach English on kindergarden.Yap.I have graduated…and I have studied English for 11 years…I really love this language.

I know some of them
they are really useful
I wrote them down
and am gonna try to use them more often
thnkx Alan

take care