Difference in meaning: Suffocate, Strangle, Throttle, Smother, Asphyxiate

Difference in meaning:

• suffocate
  • strangle
  • throttle
  • smother
  • asphyxiate

Can you explain to me how the above words differ in meaning?

I will appreciate it, if anyone can suggest a book which discusses differences between seemingly synonymous words.

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Do you have a murder in mind? A book I have used that might help is:

RIGHT WORD/WRONG WORD by L G Alexander published by Longman. He was a highly respected figure in the world of EFL/ESL.

Alan

1 Like

You have seen through me:-) Just kidding.

I have already read the book. Can you recommend another one?

1 Like

We are in the process of creating our own dictionary using the more than 5 million different phrases we have on our website, and everyone is welcome to help and contribute. Here is a start: Smother definition, meaning for GMAT | english.best

I’ll give this a shot.

Throttle does not belong with the other words in this group, so I’ll do it last. The other words all have to do with loss of air or oxygen. Asphyxiate is a medical term. The others are informal and the usage can vary somewhat from person to person.

Asphyxiate is a medical term for lack of oxygen. The oxygen level is low enough to cause unconsciousness or death. It includes any loss of oxygen, regardless of the cause. It can be caused by blockage of the airway, foreign gas in the lungs (such as carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide), liquid in the lungs (drowning ), or something that causes the lungs to not function ( something physically pressing on the chest, electrical shock, certain drug overdoes, etc).

Strangle - This is a restriction of the airway (trachea). It can be caused by someone’s hands around the neck, by a rope such as hanging, or by accident by anything that physically restricts the trachea or neck.

Smother - The difference between strangle and smother is that strangle restricts the airway, and smother blocks the intake of air, usually meaning the mouth is covered.

Suffocate - This is a non-medical term similar to asphyxiate.

Smother and suffocate are often used figuratively with similar meanings. A person in a crowded room might say it’s smothering or suffocating, even though they don’t literally have a lack of oxygen. It means they feel confined.

Both words can also be used figuratively for something psychological. A parent may be said to smother their child with love. It can also be used negatively to mean the parent is overly protective and does not allow their child to grow and experience life. The child may feel they are suffocating because of too many restrictions.

Throttle - This is an informal word used to mean “beat someone up”, usually thoroughly. Unlike the other words listed, it does not have anything to do with restrictions of oxygen. It can also be used to win thoroughly. For example if Team A scores 15 goals and Team B scores none, it could be said that Team A throttled Team B.

The throttle is also the mechanical device used to control the delivery of fuel and/or air to an engine. So in this sense it does have to do with oxygen, but is very specific to fuel delivery to engines.

1 Like