Difference between "in the future" and "in future"

Hi,

Could someone tell me what the difference between “in future” and “in the future” is?

For example:
You should be careful in future
You should be careful in the future

Many thanks,
Mohammad

1 Like

I’d think:

1. In future = at any time yet to come based on the continuous time axis: time from the beginning up to now and going on.

2. In the future = at the time yet to come based on the time tripartition: the past, the present, and the future.

1 Like

Thank you very much but I did not understand what you said. Would you mind exemplifying it?

Thanks again,
Mohammad

in future: from this point on.
in the future: at some time to come.

Hi Mohammad,

‘In future’ is a set expression often having the sense of ‘next time’ as in: I see you have forgotten your pass. Don’t worry about it this time but in future please remember to bring it.

‘In the future’ is on a much wider scale describing that time that will be coming as in: In the future people will be able to travel to the moon to go on holiday.

Alan

1 Like

Thank you very much Haihao and Beeesneees . I got it.

Beeesnees:
What do you mean by “Cheers m’ dears!”. What does it stand for?

Thanks,
Mohammad

Oops

Thank you very much Alan
Your explanations was great.

Mohammad

Hi Mohammad,

You’ll find information about that phrase
here.

Another difference between ‘in future’ and ‘in the future’ is that we basically never use ‘in future’ in American English. In the US, we would use ‘in the future’ for both of the situations that Alan described.
:slight_smile:
“The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.” ~ Albert Einstein

1 Like

Hi OTS,

I think you’ve probably been yearning to hear that.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for your correction!
But I thought it best to withdraw my reply.

Good thing you posted again, Our Tort System.
I was not quite sure why Alan seemed to be talking to the Educational Testing Service (ETS), and what in the world he was carrying on about.
:wink:
“I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.” ~ Helen Keller

1 Like

Hello,

is it correct to say that “in future” is equivalent to “in the aftertime?”

Thanks,

Fadi Halloun

Hi,

I don’t know this expression ‘in the aftertime’.

Alan

1 Like

nice explanation

1 Like