Difference between emend and amend?

Hello. What is the difference between emend and amend?

According to dictionary.com emend means “To improve by critical editing: emend a faulty text”
The definition according to dictionary.com of amend is one of the following

1 To change for the better; improve: amended the earlier proposal so as to make it more comprehensive.
2 To remove the faults or errors in; correct. See Synonyms at correct.
3 To alter (a legislative measure, for example) formally by adding, deleting, or rephrasing.
4 To enrich (soil), especially by mixing in organic matter or sand.

The difference exists in the use of the uses of the two words. To emend means to improve a text whether as amend may also mean to enrich something as in the case of enriching a soil.
Overall the two words have similar uses. They both are used when it comes to improving a text. However amend may be used as in enriching something as in enriching soil.

Hello. Thank you for the good explanation!

I am glad that I have been able to help you.
I actutally have never heard of the word emend before. Personally, my advice to you is to use amend as it is used more often and more people know its meaning. The way I understand amend is that its meaning of improving a text is secondary to its fixing a text meaning. In other words its to improve a text meaning is implied whereas to fix a text is explicit. That is of course only my opinion. As you saw dictionary.com gives a different interpretation of its meanings.