Diane managed to make friends with her peers

1. Diane managed to make friends with her peers. In fact, during breaktime she plays with them.
  2. Her academic level in these two subjects is equal to that of her peers.
  3. You have to check her notebook to be updated on what is going on at school.
  4. In February children will have to sit for their exams. Diane will only be examined in French and Science.
  5. She is exempted from sitting for the Math exam.
  6. How is Tom feeling at work?
3 Likes

Diane has managed to make friends with her classmates. She even plays with them during the breaks.

Sounds fine by me.

You need to check her notebook to keep up with what’s happening at school.

In February, the children will have to take their exams. Diane will be tested only in French and science.

She is exempt from taking the math exam.

How is Tom doing at work?

4 Likes

I thought it is correct to say ‘to sit for their exams’. Is it wrong or did you want to show me another way how can I rephrase that phrase?

3 Likes

The phrase ‘to sit for an exam’ sounds rather archaic to me.

2 Likes

I think ‘sit for an exam’ is still used in certain formal professional settings. For example when taking an exam for a professional license. Someone might ‘sit for the bar exam’ to become a licensed attorney.

It’s not used in normal school or college settings.

3 Likes

Hi,

Would ‘to take an exam’ be acceptable?

1 Like

Yes, ‘to take an exam’ is the normal way of saying it.

Actually it’s more common to say ‘to take a test’.

The word exam is usually used for more important tests. During a semester class, there are commonly a mid-term exam and a final exam. These are very commonly shortened to mid-terms and finals.

There may be additional tests at other times during the semester. There are also quizes or pop quizes. A quiz is just a quick test that is less important. A pop quiz is an unannounced quiz. Quizes are generally short and may only take ten minutes to complete. They cover immediately preceding class material. Quizes are less common in college than in elementary or high school.

3 Likes

The educational landscape is changing rapidly, breaking down hierarchical and outdated systems that exclude a large portion of highly talented people who cannot access any form of higher education because they are not privileged. We will see an increase in micro credentials, nano degrees, digital badges, and other forms of competency measurement. The website below will give you an overview of this new world that is emerging:

The concept of ‘a final exam’ isn’t very useful in a world that’s driven by AI, algorithms and massive datasets. There is a growing number of areas in which machines are learning much faster than human beings so we need a completely approach to learning.

2 Likes

That sounds like a nightmare scenario. It also sounds like typical marketing BS. Fortunately I think we are a very long way from that becoming more than a niche.

What I think is going to happen ( in the US ) is the trend of the recent past will reverse. The trend I’m talking about is formal education. People in the US are becoming over educated - I’m referring strictly to formal education. I think very soon people will begin to figure out that they’re better off becoming a mechanic or plumber than going to college. Supply and demand is already pushing things in that direction.

The “go to college to solve all your problems” mantra has been going on far too long. It has never been true, but too many people believe it’s true. As a result things are becoming lopsided and need to get back in balance.

During the COVID 19 lock downs “essential” people went to work and everyone else stayed home. In general, people who go to college and work in offices are non-essential. People who sit in front of computers are non essential. Most of the essential people didn’t go to college and don’t use computers. But the mantra of society continues to say “college people are important and prestigious - every else is unimportant and peasants.” The priorities are completely backwards.

People who sit in front of computers for a living are overhead. They only get by with it because someone else is doing the actual work.

3 Likes

Why do you think Google started offering its own training programs that allow people to become certified IT professionals and find employment within a few months? This is a typical example of micro credentials and digital badges.

2 Likes

Certifications have been around forever. It’s not a new trend. It’s just a new term for something old. Lots of tech giants have certifications.

3 Likes

In September 2003 we launched our forum and since then we have helped people from all over the world to improve their English and find answers to their questions. This type of learning environment is very effective and completely free. It also works seamlessly without formal certifications and exams, so education and learning have many faces and take place in all kinds of ways.

2 Likes

Hi NN,

Thank you for sharing your information about the American educational system. I really liked it.

Marc

1 Like