"Dead" versus "Death"

Hello everyone,

When I was studying grammar english at university,once in a class showed up something really interesting about the verb die. Even though, I remember teacher’s explanation, regarding the grammatical part (as a noun, adjective and conjugation), I can’t remember some examples he used in that class. So, I want you to do me a favor. Can you post some examples in order to explain the difference between died as a verb, and dead as an adjective…Besides, I ve’got some problems, let’s say, to differentiate the adj “dead” and the noun “death”, so please refer to this one as well. I am writting this because I wanna refresh my mind and 'cause I wanna explain this stuff to someone. He says, this verb its a little tricky…Last, I wanna thank you and please help me to deal with this issue.

See ya around!

He died yesterday.
He is dead now.
The dead man is no longer talking.
His death was accidental

I can’t imagine what more you want, Serzige, sorry.

Hey Mr. Micawber thanks for that good explanation, I really appreciate it. Nevertheless, I just have a question for you. I wonder why I’ve got say no longer in such a sentence above. Sometimes, I’ve heard “Hey, I can’t stay any longer” or, “Are you gonna stay all day night long here?” I wonder why is it neccesary to say “long” or “any long” and when I have to use them…?

Thanks in advance.

What other possibilities do you think there are, Sergio?

Hey…I think my message wasn’t quite clear. You misunderstood. What I meant in the question is why do I have to say “long”? It is because sometimes I got confused when using it, I don’t know how to use it…you know what I mean? I wanna know in what context I have to use it and when, that’s it :oops:

Still not quite clear, Serzige. You never ‘have to’ use the word(s).

The dead man is no longer talking.
The dead man isn’t talking any more
The dead man has stopped talking forever

Long:

1. primarily spatial sense; of relatively great or greater than average spatial extension or extension as specified (Example: “A long road”)
2. primarily temporal sense; being or indicating a relatively great or greater than average duration or passage of time or a duration as specified (Example: “A long life”)

Longer, when it doesn’t mean ‘of physically greater length’ (My nose is longer than my thumb), means ‘for more time’. Use it when that is what you wish to say-- just as you do with other vocabulary items:

I no longer wish to see you. (= for no further time)
If I watch this movie any longer, I will throw up. (= for any more time)
How long will you be visiting Israel? (= for what length of time?)
etc.