Could you please evaluate my independent writing task?

*Prompt: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?

Smartphones have caused more harm than good to our society.

My essay:

Undoubtedly smartphones are regarded as one of the most important inventions of the century. Personally, I strongly believe that they have transformed our society in a positive way. I feel this way for several reasons which I will explore in the following essay.

First of all, smartphones have proved to be very useful. In other words, there are numerous applications that one can install which are extremely helpful in handling even everyday tasks. My personal experience is a compelling example of this. Some years ago, when I still did not own a smartphone I had to travel to a foreign country to which I had never been before. Even though I had bought a map, it was extremely difficult for me to find the way to my hotel. On the other hand, last year when I traveled to Italy for the first time in my life, I easily reached all the worth-visiting places and monuments since I had installed a GPS and it showed me the exact route I needed to take. Needless to say, that in Italy I experienced lower anxiety levels and I reached my destination in less time since I used my smartphone.

Secondly, smartphones have facilitated the way people contact each other and have dramatically reduced the cost of calls. To be more specific, smartphones have made it possible to be accessible at all times and to communicate with people no matter where they are. For instance, a few decades ago, when my father moved to the US I would call him only once a month for a few minutes because not only was the quality of the call so bad that I could hardly understand anything that he was saying but it was incredibly costly as well. In contrast, nowadays smartphones have enabled us not only to hear clearly the other person’s voice through calls but also to see them via video calls without having to pay huge amounts of money to do so.

Consequently, smartphones have made the distance between two people to seem negligible and have positively impacted the relationships of numerous people as now they are always able to stay in contact. In conclusion, I am of the opinion that smartphones have not had any detrimental effect on society. In fact, I feel that they have influenced it positively. This is because phones have made people’s lives easier through the various applications they offer and they have also made the way people reach each other less complicated.

2 Likes