In the following multiple choice question, the answer is B, but can you differentiate for me “could” and “(be) able to”?
1. Robert has a new car. He … it for a very good price. He paid 30% less than the regular retail cost.
a. could buy b. was able to buy c. was supposed to buy d. had to buy
I have another sentence but it’s not correct one, could you please help me correct it and tell me why?
2. A million of tourists from all over the world visit NY every year.
I also have problems with prepositions. In these 2 sentences, I have no idea about the answer, can you show me which prepositions should be there and why?
3. It’s high time Bill got a steady job and settle … He is almost 30.
4. It’s difficult to tell identical twins …
Finally, I have no idea which word should be used in this situation, help me pls.
5. Sarah delivered a(n) … appeal to the court and asked for mercy
a. sensational b.sentimental c. emotional d. affectionate
The answer is C, but I suppose it A.