Content plan January -- April 2023

Thank you, @Natalia_Polteva!

3 Likes

Hello team, if you need some inspiration for your next batch of exercises and tests, please take a look at New series of reading comprehension texts and exercises

3 Likes

Hello @Sumejja! Thank you for the new interesting test ELECTRONEUM M1👩‍💻, it’s online!

2 Likes

Hello @Andrea!
Your two new tests ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE and BIOMETRICS are online :grin:

Thank you for creating tests in a new format :sunglasses::+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @Natalia_Polteva :wink:
You’re welcome :+1:

2 Likes

@Elida, @Sumejja I’m just reading the article again Elida referenced and what’s interesting about the topic of a cashless society is that things have started moving very fast. Elida’s Guardian article was published on July 18 2018 – 18 months ago. In the meantime the cryptocurrency space has progressed quite dramatically. China is about to become the first cashless economy in the world and Elon Musk says that paper money is going away. I’m sure you remember that Elon Musk is the guy who created PayPal so I do trust him to have the insight and expertise to predict the future of payment methods: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/20/elon-musk-paper-money-is-going-away-cryptocurrency-tech-has-merit.html

By the way, I’m happy to see that The Guardian apparently seems to be one of the newspapers you frequently read :wink: :+1:. It’s one of the few media outlets with a dedication to fighting global heating.

2 Likes

Hello, everyone. I’m new to the team. Looking forward to collaborating and making my own contributions to the project :slight_smile: @Torsten, I should have some potential topics for my reading comprehension texts submitted shortly. I’d appreciate your feedback on them. Thank you!

3 Likes

Potential TOEIC Reading Comprehension Topics:

1. Evolution of veganism in athletics
    Elite Athletes Are Going Vegan. Will It Help You?

2. Yang’s UBI proposal
    What Is Universal Basic Income? How the Policy Gained Traction

3. Government mandated rooftop solar panels to begin in California in 2020
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90375536/what-most-americans-are-looking-for-in-new-home-solar-panels

4. Lab grown meat/insect burgers
    Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

5. Update on Boring’s underground commercial tunnel in Las Vegas
    Elon Musk says Vegas tunnel will hopefully be operational by 2020 | CNN Business

6. SpaceX WiFi?
    SpaceX wants to be your WiFi provider. This could be the company's biggest hurdle | CNN Business

7. Technologies impacting online shopping
    How Technology Is Transforming In-store Shopping - Digital Doughnut

8. Potential legal implications of "going off the grid” (in the US)
    Off Grid Living is Illegal! Sort of... - Off Grid World

9. Likely developments in energy storage (batteries) over the next decade
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/30/battery-developments-in-the-last-decade-created-a-seismic-shift-that-will-play-out-in-the-next-10-years.html

10. How museums are using VR technology
    Reality check: is VR set to revolutionise museums?

Any and all feedback is welcomed! Thank you so much.

3 Likes

I really like this article! I feel like not many people take the time to point out ways in which large institutions are manipulating the people to further their own interest, regardless of whether or not it is in the interest of those people as well. Understanding how inconvenient cash is to them helps comprehend why cryptocurrencies are renounced as if they were something blasphemous - after all, they take the convenience and liberty of owning and using cash to a whole new level, wherein you do not have to lose out on the ease of paying digitally or via card (Crypto.com, formerly Monaco, is already issuing crypto credit cards!), but you’re also not left stranded in the case of a central point failure. Most important of all, they take away the power banks hold over us.

On the other hand, I think we must allow for the possibility of many people who do not want to “be their own bank,” as crypto forces them to be. There is a reason why people are naturally drawn to centralized systems and hierarchies. And I honestly don’t believe most crypto fans would want everyone to choose either way, when it comes down to it - just the availability of choice takes away from the monopoly that financial institutions have when it comes to money in our daily lives.

2 Likes

Also @tim_m, welcome to the team!

2 Likes

Hi Tim, welcome to the team and thank you very much for sharing your articles and resources. I’ve read through the entire list and I like every single item on it. All those topics are relevant, progressive and tangling so I really look forward to reading your exercises. I’ll also be thinking of ways to encourage our users to start discussing these topics since they contain so much valuable information. Great job, Tim :+1:.

PS: My favorite topic on your list currently is freedomdividend andrew_yang

2 Likes

Hello @Andrea , thank you very much for creating your latest two tests which you can find here:

3 Likes

Hello @tim_m! Welcome to the english.best team :grin::+1:.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I’ve been following his campaign closely for quite a while now. Hopefully he can gather enough polling support to make the next debate in a few days. The US really needs to hear his ideas. #yanggang

2 Likes

I think if #AndrewYang won’t become the next president it’s not because his program and ideas are not sound and feasible but because he is way ahead of the time. But there is hope that America is rising up again. This tweet from a YangGang member is a good example of this development: One thing that makes some polls so inaccurate in
@AndrewYang
's case is that they often look at LIKELY voters. #YangGang, however, consists of a bunch of UNLIKELY voters – people who have never been politically engaged before. We will shock the world in February; mark my words.

1 Like

Hello @Andrea!
Your new test 5G is online :woman_technologist:

Thank you :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @Natalia_Polteva. There’s a new test ready and in the folder :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The test 'Internet of things ’ is online :grinning:

@Andrea, thanks for creating :sunglasses: it.

2 Likes

@Andrea, thanks a lot for constantly creating and submitting your tests and materials which are very unique and therefore valuable to our users and thank you @Natalia_Polteva for doing such a great job of adding Andrea’s materials to our site. Hopefully @pawel_devstime and I will get together in person in February to finalize the details for the next phase of our project. The plan is to give content creators such as Andrea access to our CMS so you can add your materials to the database yourselves. So, watch this space.

2 Likes

Hello @Sumejja!
Your new test THAI BANK’S RIPPLE APP is online now :grin:

I didn’t even know about this Thai bank and the App! These guys, in their development, are far ahead of what is happening in Europe :sunglasses:.

1 Like