Conditional I question?

Dear Torsten,
Thank you for welcoming me. I got 7 right answers (out of 10) in this test from your message on the first attempt. Isn’t it worst? Please explain:

1. Does the phrase: ‘if you like’ mean = ‘if you want’?
  2. Do these two sentences below mean the same?
    I wonder if Betty will decide to take a job in Australia.= I wonder if Betty decides to take a job in Australia.

When I should use ‘will’ after ‘if’? I know that I should use Present Simple after ‘if’ in First Conditional, but when I should use Future Simple after If?

Thank you very much for your help.
Regards,
Aneta

Hi Aneta,

‘If you like’ means ‘if that’s what you want’ (to do).

‘If you will’ usually suggests a polite request as in: If you will be so kind, I’d like you to help me.

In your sentences: ‘I wonder if Betty will decide …’ suggests ‘I wonder if Betty is going to decide’.

‘I wonder if Betty decides …’ isn’t really a valid sentence because ‘decides’ dosen’t really capture the ‘future’ idea in ‘decide’. That’s why I would suggest ‘will’ or 'is going to '.

Alan

Hi Alan, thank you very much for your help, but… I think that ‘decides’ in the sentence: ‘I wonder if Betty decides to take a job in Australia’ refers to the future, because this sentence is a part of sentence in Conditional I for me, for example the part of sentence: ‘If Betty decide to take a job in Australia, I will go with ger’. So why do you think that ‘decides’ doesn’t refer to future???

Hi Alan, thank you very much for your help, but… I think that ‘decides’ in the sentence: ‘I wonder if Betty decides to take a job in Australia’ refers to the future, because this sentence is a part of sentence in Conditional I for me, for example the part of sentence: ‘If Betty decides to take a job in Australia, I will go with ger’. So why do you think that ‘decides’ doesn’t refer to future???

Hi,

The sentence changes when you add ‘I wonder’. Certainly ‘If she decides, I will go with her’ is an example of a ‘possible’ condition sentence.

Alan