common usage of "ante" as preposition?

Hi,

is there a common usage of “ante” as preposition except in “ante meridiem”? Would like to learn more about the usage.

thanks in advance

Michael

I’d think “ante” acts as a prefix rather than a preposition in English unlike Latin.

Thank you Haihao,

to me it had the state of a fixed term until today, too.

Only, today I found in my online dict the hint that ante also could be used as Pronoun or Prepositionen as in “ante-chamber direct feed injection” plus there was the advice that ante also could be used with a meaning similar to before. e.g. before noon = ante meridiem. Hence I´d like to know whether the before also could be substituted by ante.

Regards
Michael

If I understand your latest question correctly, Foah, you are asking if we would say ‘ante-noon’. We wouldn’t.
There is no hard and fast rule you can apply to this though :frowning:

Also, there is another meaning of ante… if you up the ante or raise the ante, you increase your demands when you are in dispute or fighting for something

Is there any corrections to be done?

So many things had been said about Tirot sing (the name of a freedom fighter) and attributing to his barbaric qualities in fighting against the British…but the real person who orchestrated all the attacks was Bormanik Syiem(name of another freedom fighter)…he was a real deal to the British…he was the only king who hold up his Kingdom from the British till the end.

Nick

So many things have been said about the barbaric attitude of Tirot Sing during his attacks against the British, but the person who actually orchestrated the attacks was Bormanik Syiem. He was the real threat to the British fighters. He was the only king who defended his Kingdom from the British until the end of… (The end of what?)

Dear Friend,

Please tell me what is the difference between these two sentences.

1.if anything happened you (happened is in past tense)
2.if you happen to see (happen is in present tense).

Is it correct to write, if anyone saw us.

Thanks
Nick