come of age

Hi teachers,

He still hasn’t come of age. Correct?

yes

Thank you, BN.

come of=the result of
but what does it mean here?

To come of age = to reach the legal age to be considered an adult.

‘He hasn’t come of age, yet’ is also possible.

… but highly unlikely, with the comma.

It will always be appreciated if the why of the error is explained.

As you place such great store (in other messages) about correcting member’s questions:
It will always be appreciated if the cause of the error is explained.

‘He hasn’t come of age yet’ = the standard equivalent to He still hasn’t come of age / He has not yet come of age, etc.
The comma emphasises the fact that the age has not yet been reached in a way which is unnecessary for most contexts.
For example
He hasn’t come of age, yet… however, by tomorrow he will be able to participate as he will be old enough

Thanks for the explanation. However since I put a period at the end, I thought it would not mean any thing beyond. I acknowledge my own errors when convincingly explained.

By the way, I took it for granted that you were familiar with “the why” meaning ‘the cause/reason’.

The fact that you put a full stop on the end was an even clearer indication that using a comma was probably not the correct choice.

I know what it means, but it would not be used like that in that context.
“I thought it would not mean anything beyond” is similarly incorrect. I know what it means, but a native English speaker would add ‘that’ or similar.

It is assumed that an educated user of English will sooner understand what a word or phrase implies in certain contexts where it may not be explicit or correct.

e.g. ………… but a native English speaker would add ‘that’ or similar. (similar to it or a word similar to it). In this case, however, we would use ‘a similar word’ in place of just ‘similar’. We also say ‘at the end’ and ‘in the end’ not ‘on the end’.

As a rule, an explanation needs to be comprehensive and be provided at a stretch, where it is possible, to avoid any further piecemeal discussion.

When you say that ‘the why’ is not suitable in that context, you are expected to illustrate it well. If there are no differing views, it may be treated as acceptable and shared with students and others.

We, here, are trying to promote good English which is universally acceptable.

You are now counter-balancing your own argument, whereby you indicate that when I don’t acknowledge every single mistake made by every single learner I am somehow failing them. Perhaps now you can appreciate why I don’t always pick up on errors in a learner’s question. You obviously dislike that I have done so to your text.

Sorry, I don’t understand how this relates.

I don’t know whether that is your ‘rule’ or whether you are quoting it, but note the phrase ‘where it is possible’. Sometimes time simply does not allow a mini-essay. I also think that there is a lot to be gained from an extended ‘piecemeal discussion’.

I have noticed before the problem with the Indian usage of ‘expected’. It is not appropriate when speaking to a native speaker, as it gives an indication of an element of command. Perhaps you ought to consider substituting it with ‘it would be helpful if you were to illustrate it well.’

Arte you saying that if there are differing views it should not be treated as acceptable? You really need to review that.

Are we, indeed? Besides, when your own answers are questioned, you seem very selective in what you find to be ‘universally acceptable’.

You have your way, and I have mine. Let’s close the chapter here and spend our time fruitfully, Bev. Thanks.